Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Potential Newb

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
concept

Potential Newb

Post by concept » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:31 pm

Coming from a Q7 and recently a Discovery 4 (hateful thing), and now looking at either:

X5 (2012-13ish)

Or

X6 M50d

The x6 is what my wife loves, but I spotted an M50d locally, which appealed to me.

The X5 would be the logical option as we have 2 small kids (4 & 2), but my wife keeps going aback to X6! Will be her car anyway, but...I like to worry about resale.

Couple of things, do the X5/6 have a smaller basic navigation guidance in the speedo?

Also, the X6 M50d doesn't appear too popular?! The dealer has had it 3 months and is looking to get out of it, which worries me come resale.

Are the M50d reliable? Anything to look out for?

Heeeeeeelp!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Potential Newb

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:40 pm

M50d has no reliability issues I have seen.  They are rare cars and IMHO the 40d is a better all round car, so sells better.  That may account for slow sales from a Dealer, or too high an asking price.  No Nav display on my speedo but then I have a HUD so it may not use it with that option.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

concept

Post by concept » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:48 pm

The car in question is a grey one on eBay, with 58k. Cheapest in U.K.

Heads up...! Of course! Cheers!

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:03 am

Nobody on here can advise on that car properly without seeing it.

If spec looks ok, if it looks tidy, history & hpi & price ok then no reason to rule it out for viewing.

Personally I wouldn't spend that much on a used BMW unless it had a BMW used warranty. Of course you can take out a warranty yourself if you wish but extra cost. Dont assume a used warranty provided by an independent seller will suit your needs.....read the small print and reviews depending on the warranty company of any cover if  provided at point of sale.

As for your needs vs that of your wife.......It is your wife that wants the car. Trying to be tactful here,....I dont know your wife or your personal circumstances but some would argue you may be happiest when she is happy.......that may mean getting what she wants and not what you want. If she wanted  a ridiculous car I would look to influence her choice but an X6 is not a bad car choice in my opinion.

If the issue is she just wants an X6 then maybe look beyond M50d. If her heart set on M50d then only you know what is best in long term.

You have to decide what is most important X5 vs X6, rarity vs residuals, bmw approved used vs other sourcing.

Purely looking at car funtionality & driving experience I would ideally want my wife to want, appreciate &/or use the extra spec & power of the X6 M50d over a X6 40d......unless the maths was in favour. It might be the case that the drive of 40d suits better. Maybe worth taking out a nice spec 40d and a 50d then comparing. Is she likely to drive a 40d from A-B & find herself unhappy she was not doing same trip in a 50d ? Any spec unique to 50d that is a must ?

The scenario I might want to avoid would be in spending near £30k on a used X5 only to be regularly reminded by my wife she would have been happier with an X6 when there had been full opportunity to accquire one

If residual loss is a major consideration I perhaps wouldnt be looking at buying a used X6 for near £30k !

Mindful I have inpersonally used terms "wife" and "she" whilst also making references that there can be benefits of marital harmony. I do not know you or your wife hence the terminology & comments. I am not in any way being sexist nor suggesting your wife is any less worthy or capable of making own choices, appreciating car differences etc. That said perhaps look a little beyond your needs & be careful to appropriately consider hers.

Good Luck
Last edited by AW8 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

concept

Post by concept » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:49 am

AW8 that is the most brilliant response I have ever had to a post on a forum. Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail and in such a considerate manner.

Went to look at the M50d today and whilst it's a nice car, it was not for me as it had a couple of panels painted not brilliantly, and at that money, it has to be perfect.

My wife has confirmed that's what she wants, well, and X6 is.

We have a Golf R and and RS4 as well, so power is s not necessarily what she wanted, more me, to help sway me a bit.

Looking for a 40d, LCi, 5 seater now I think.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks for the comments ....glad my post of some use.

I too would be looking for close to flawless only accepting sortable minor niggles if price adjusted in my favour.  Certainly bad finish to panels would cause me to walk away too.

Here's hoping you end up sourcing a suitable vehicle &/or package for an acceptable price.
Last edited by AW8 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Nat

Post by Nat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Far be it for me to interfere and I am in no way as eloquent and diplomatic as AW8 , but I do just have one observation.

I have 2 kids , and yes they are older now, but back in the day an X5 was a far more practical car for Kids+ associated crap you carry ( and trust me there was  loads of it ) than an X6 .
Is an X5 boot much bigger than an X6 ? I don't know but worth a check .
It will probably show how long ago it was as I haven't looked inside an X6 for years, but the rear seat in the  X6's used to be just a 2 seater............the middle had some big console. About as practical as a chocolate tea pot.

All said and done I suspect you will find a BMW miles better than a land rover thats for sure.

IanP

Post by IanP » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:02 pm

X6 rear seats are OK for smaller kids, but headroom a bit cramped for 6' plus adults. 5 seats were an earlly option but rare, and while the boot is long, the sloping tailgate does not give much storage compared with an X5

concept

Post by concept » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks guys, the sensible option certainly does seem to be the X5, and probably what we will go with.

concept

Post by concept » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Bought one.

X5 40d M Sport with a few goodies we needed, such as head up display, 3rd row and comfort access, and some bonuses like comfort seats, heated steering wheel, 20" 10 split spokes and more.

As always, more than the original budget, but newer than we originally thought, and sensible miles.

Roll on collection next week, looking forward to it.
Last edited by concept on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:08 pm

:D

And of course :worthless:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

concept

Post by concept » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:22 pm

When it arrives, it will be done :)