Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Storm Angus - Low Tyre Pressure Warning on dashboard....

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
sharpharp

Storm Angus - Low Tyre Pressure Warning on dashboard....

Post by sharpharp » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:49 pm

Battled rough wind and rain tonight and mid journey got an AMBER "Low Tyre Pressure Warning" and to drive below 80kph wording on the dashboard. The picture showed all 4 tyres highlighted.

I've never had this warning before, so was just wondering a couple of things:

1) Why doesn't the warning say which Tyre it is? Surely if pressure is low, that's what the sensors are supposed to do right?

2) Could the rain have caused the warning?

I had a quick check in the rain when I got back and didn't notice any obvious deflated tyres.
I will be totally gutted if I have a puncture, I only got this new set of staggered tyres put on just over a month ago...

I'll check the pressures in the morning and do a reset and see how it goes. Just odd I've never had an issue before driving in all sorts of weather conditions.

Is there any way of reading the diagnostic code to find any further info?

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Storm Angus - Low Tyre Pressure Warning on dashboard....

Post by Horizon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:21 pm

As you say, check the pressures, you will have Runflats, so it's not possible to see if the pressure is lower in one wheel, that's why it's law to have the tyre pressure warning system.
Mine only needs to loose 5 pounds and it's on.
Check and reset, aquaplaning could be a possible cause. Always best to check and reset on a regular basis with Runflats, as the wear can be horrendous if run incorrectly. in fact the wear is horrendous even when run at the correct pressures.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:36 am

Checked this morning, pressure was down to 0bar.... inflated it and took it to garage, even before they lifted the car I spotted a nail fizzing away in the centre of the tyre.... Took it to a few places, but nobody will repair it (with it being a runflat), so having to call back this afty to get it replaced.

Only had it fitted a month ago (cries) so I will be keeping the tyre for practicing puncture repairs on using that kit someone posted on here.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:50 pm

I used the kit as posted, did a great job sealing a''nail'' puncture.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:06 pm

I had my RFT puncture fixed with no problem.  Some places won't touch but many will.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

MattX

Post by MattX » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:44 pm

Your pressure warning system is nothing of the sort.
It measures a change in the circumference of the tyre when it has less pressure in. It only knows one/some are different than they were which is why it doesn't tell you which one is flat.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:41 pm

1. You have the older system that advises there has been a loss of pressure on one of the tyres. The newer TMPS system indicates which tyre and the actual psi.
2. You can get a runflat fixed or do it yourself. I had one plugged by a local backstreet garage up North, coming back to London in Feb 2016 and to date it's just fine. I had a 2nd puncture (damn runflats) in another tyre in August 2016 which I plugged myself using a kit from Amazon. This tyre is also running fine to date. So don't let BMW OR the big tyre chains tell you it can't be repaired.
The only proviso is if the internal structure of the sidewalls has been damaged, but running a few miles did nothing to my tyres.
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

MarkG_M3CP

Post by MarkG_M3CP » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:22 am

For reference, eTyres will repair run flats and come to you for £25 all in. You can get it done cheaper but it's convenient.

I'm guessing if you were down at 0 bar there is sidewall damage though.

Fingers crossed.
Current: F80 M3 Competition Package and F20 M135i
Gone: F15 X5 M50d / F30 335d xDrive M Sport / E92 LCI 320d M Sport / E46 320d M Sport Touring / E46 318i Touring

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Well guess what........... After having to buy a new rear for that tyre a few weeks back, I had it in for a service.

I get a nice video sent by the dealer saying that I had a......puncture on the front tyre. WTF !!!!

That's two punctures in the space of a month on a BRAND NEW SET of Tyres.

This is another screw, but in the sidewall, so doubt anyone will touch it.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling this is more than a coincidence. I will only confirm this when I see the screw taken out and see if its the same as the last one. The only thing this time its a slow puncture and I have a bit of time to source another one.

Lately it just seems like I need a bank account solely for BMW repairs....

Nat

Post by Nat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:53 am

Hi,

Been there got that t-shirt.

E tyres do repair run flats but can't repair the 315 rears as their machines cant handle tyres that big. Thats fact by the way , been there done that.

Repair the tyre yourself. Just buy a tyre plugging kit on line , under £10 and its easy to do it yourself. It is easier to do it with the wheel off the car if its a rear one but it is possible in situ. The fronts you can turn the steering wheel to full lock and make the tyre poke out from under the arch and thats plenty of working space to repair.
When you get your kit , practice on an old tyre if possible just to get the hang of it.

Like you I bought a new rear tyre , but since then I have fixed the punctures myself.

Regards,

Nat.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:40 am

[quote="sharpharp"]
Well guess what........... After having to buy a new rear for that tyre a few weeks back, I had it in for a service.

I get a nice video sent by the dealer saying that I had a......puncture on the front tyre. WTF !!!!

That's two punctures in the space of a month on a BRAND NEW SET of Tyres.

This is another screw, but in the sidewall, so doubt anyone will touch it.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling this is more than a coincidence. I will only confirm this when I see the screw taken out and see if its the same as the last one. The only thing this time its a slow puncture and I have a bit of time to source another one.

Lately it just seems like I need a bank account solely for BMW repairs....
[/quote]

Runflats are more prone to picking up screws and flints, I'm totally convinced of it in relation to wider tyres. The winter rft 17's have been perfect thus far, so the summer 19's will have non rft's before they are put back on the car in March.
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.