Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

fault code reader

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
the shreksta

fault code reader

Post by the shreksta » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:33 pm

hey guys

as ive decided to keep the x5 for a while i am wondering if there is anything i can buy to read/diagnose fault codes?

the car runs lumpy when cold and puffs white/blue smoke on start up,reading on here it suggests to me that its either glow plugs or glow plug module but i would still like to get fault codes read.

also i would like to check my gearbox for fault codes,would it be the same item for engine and box?

thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: fault code reader

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Carly App and OBD2 module seems to be the current favourite.  A car powered and self contained radio module (WiFi for IOS, Bluetooth for Android) plugs into the OBD2 port and you read the codes into your phone/tablet device.

Have a look at mycarly dot com.  The site will tell you what one of the options you can choose from can do.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:43 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Carly App and OBD2 module seems to be the current favourite.  A car powered and self contained radio module (WiFi for IOS, Bluetooth for Android) plugs into the OBD2 port and you read the codes into your phone/tablet device.

Have a look at mycarly dot com.  The site will tell you what one of the options you can choose from can do.
[/quote]

ok buddy thanks

:)

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:05 pm

dont think i will bother with the module, just gonna use the carly app and the cable

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:41 pm

[quote="the shreksta"]
dont think i will bother with the module, just gonna use the carly app and the cable
[/quote] what device are you going to run the app on ?
Didn't think they did a cable for OBD 2 to iPad or android phone / tablet
I thought £35 app and £50 adaptor wasn't too bad for a piece of easy to use kit than can code and diognose pretty much all of the BMW range .
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:50 pm

[quote="Horizon"]
[quote="the shreksta"]
[/quote] what device are you going to run the app on ?
Didn't think they did a cable for OBD 2 to iPad or android phone / tablet
I thought £35 app and £50 adaptor wasn't too bad for a piece of easy to use kit than can code and diognose pretty much all of the BMW range .

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Looks like there is now a cabled version for certain Android phones with a USB connector.

I might get a version for my VAG car too.

ianst0028

Post by ianst0028 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:08 am

i've got an autel code reader that does 99% of European cars and the bmw laptop
i thought about the carly app but wasnt that impressed with their support when i spoke to them 
X5 e53 3.0 2002 with LPG

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:56 pm

Regarding the carly app. Will I be able to turn off the parking heater and reset the fault from the webasto.
Bought the 1.4.0 scanner when I first got the car and enabled this. Has never worked since I first set the timer, it started up briefly then turned off. Ever since the webasto hasn't come on at all when in cold weather to help heat the engine.
My laptop with XP is now goosed so I can't use that to put it back to normal.

grumpywurzel

Post by grumpywurzel » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:21 am

[quote="Scotty"]
Regarding the carly app. Will I be able to turn off the parking heater and reset the fault from the webasto.
Bought the 1.4.0 scanner when I first got the car and enabled this. Has never worked since I first set the timer, it started up briefly then turned off. Ever since the webasto hasn't come on at all when in cold weather to help heat the engine.
My laptop with XP is now goosed so I can't use that to put it back to normal.
[/quote]

Same boat here, my lappy that ran the scanner is kippers and the new one runs Windows 10 and I haven't bothered to try.

Me and my fat fingers managed to somehow knacker a front PDC sensor and the exterior boot release button by running the scan and clearing the codes. Worked before I plugged it in, scanned/cleared and then nowt.
2005 X5 3.0d Sport

Mods: Engine Re-Map, LED Angel Eyes, HID Upgrade, Cobra Quad Tip Exhaust, Pioneer Head Unit, E70 rear wiper   :) and a new Gearbox :'(

grumpywurzel

Post by grumpywurzel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Guys n girls,

Been looking into this carly app thing, how many of you have actually got this? Reviews on the play store isn't brilliant and customer service seems arse.

Basically I need a decent code reader and don't want to faff about with a laptop if at all possible. 

Anyone know if any of these can read alarm errors too or is it purely engine parameters? I honestly can't remember when I used 1.4.0 before!
2005 X5 3.0d Sport

Mods: Engine Re-Map, LED Angel Eyes, HID Upgrade, Cobra Quad Tip Exhaust, Pioneer Head Unit, E70 rear wiper   :) and a new Gearbox :'(

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:10 pm

I've got one and so far not had any trouble.  I emailed the downloaded log file to them and got codes decoded with no issue at all.

grumpywurzel

Post by grumpywurzel » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:43 am

[quote="X5Sport"]
I've got one and so far not had any trouble.  I emailed the downloaded log file to them and got codes decoded with no issue at all.
[/quote]

Cheers mate for the feedback
2005 X5 3.0d Sport

A Blair

Post by A Blair » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:37 pm

Hi guys,
Interesting thread. Had a read of the Carly app and it looks even better value when purchased abroad.
http://www.ivini-tech.de/en/adapter/android-bmw/

Does it support CAN and how important is CAN in the overall scheme of things. I am just starting out and still learning.
I am tech literate and did my research before buying.
I bought a 2005 / 100k miler / E53 / X5 / 4.4 at the weekend.
A few faults on it and looking forward to replacing some bits and upgrading as well as resetting.

I will be posting ad I go along. No laughing.
X5 E53 2005 4.4 Sport. Toledo Blue
Things to consider.
Radio. (something in
Detail Car.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:31 am

I'm guessing there is a bit bit for you learn, though nothing that can't be picked up quickly

The can "bus" is the the cars brain

The Controller Area Network (CAN, also known as CAN Bus) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow electronic control units and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer. As an alternative to conventional multi-wire looms, CAN Bus allows various electronic components (such as: electronic control units, microcontrollers, devices, sensors, actuators and other electronic components throughout the vehicle) to communicate on a single or dual-wire network data bus up to 1 Mb/s.

The CAN Bus is a message based protocol, designed originally for multiplex electrical wiring within motor vehicles, but also can be used in many other contexts.
In regards to importantance, it's as much use as the human brain, if it fails, it dies

In regards to Carly link, you've highlighted an android which is  £20 cheaper than iOS (Apple) systems

I think, you'd be right to look at the Carly system as it's a pretty much fool proof method of fault code reading and basic coding without delving to deep into software programming
Last edited by snrbrtsn on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.