Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres

X5msd

Tyres

Post by X5msd » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Hello all
My Pirelli p zeros are nearly dead
Need a new set soon
They 21 run flats
Anyone recommend any others
They are good tyres,but rim protection is total crap

MarkG_M3CP

Re: Tyres

Post by MarkG_M3CP » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:11 pm

I have the 20" P Zeros which are coming to the end of their life (10k miles I reckon).

My plan is to go for Dunlop Sport Maxx GT which seem to have greater longevity and rim protection. Reviews are good.
Current: F80 M3 Competition Package and F20 M135i
Gone: F15 X5 M50d / F30 335d xDrive M Sport / E92 LCI 320d M Sport / E46 320d M Sport Touring / E46 318i Touring

sid10

Post by sid10 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:33 pm

You can buy the rim protectors for £60 which will help with kerbing the wheels .

X5msd

Post by X5msd » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:38 pm

I'll have a look into those
They are run flats ?
Sid10 I didn't think they did rim protection in that size

MarkG_M3CP

Tyres

Post by MarkG_M3CP » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:14 am

Yes, RFT... not checked 21" though.

Gone: F15 X5 M50d / F30 335d xDrive M Sport / E92 LCI 320d M Sport / E46 320d M Sport Touring / E46 318i Touring

X5msd

Post by X5msd » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:11 pm

Yes they do
And they are £73 cheaper per tyre (rears) £59 fronts

allforus

Post by allforus » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi just got rid of my dunlops that still had 5 mm on most of the tyre because they had distorted both front and rear would not use them again
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d

MarkG_M3CP

Post by MarkG_M3CP » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:52 pm

[quote="allforus"]
Hi just got rid of my dunlops that still had 5 mm on most of the tyre because they had distorted both front and rear would not use them again
[/quote]
Interesting.

How were they distorted? That tends to suggest either the tyres are faulty or the wrong load rating was fitted. I would have been claiming replacements from Dunlop.

allforus

Post by allforus » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi tyres where original fit they all formed lumps and bumps across the tread they where punctured and I always keep an eye on the pressures mostly the tread had worn in a saw tooth pattern returned to dealer with the excessive tyre noice they said tyre where at fault but any warranty only lasts about three months we could have returned them to Dunlop but they said they had never had any success when returning tyres and I would have to pay shipping and of course 4 new tyres best I can put it

Cheers

Graeme
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d

The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:51 am

Full stops and commas are good. ;)
Never knowingly underfed

2012 E70 30d M Sport

Nat

Post by Nat » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi,

Use Dunlop sport maxx..............no the GT.

Also I wouldn't use Black circles. Had terrible experience with them + arrogant fitter. Read the many horrid trust pilot reviews. Shit company in my experience.

I used Kwik fit .com ( Kwik fit mobile).  Before you go mad, they are a separate company to the normal Kwik fit and i have used them 3 times very recently and they were cheaper than anyone else , polite and did an excellent job .

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/search/d ... x/t1004472

Same price as crap circles.

Black circles used a knackered trolley jack and Kwih fit had the latest air jacks that don't damage your car.
Black circles don't give a time other than between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm whilst kwik fit give you a call early on the day and give you a good idea when they will come and also ring you half an hour before they arrive.

I know who i prefer , you pays your money and takes your choice.

Regards,

Nat.

MarkP80

Post by MarkP80 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:21 pm

[quote="Nat"]
Hi,

Use Dunlop sport maxx..............no the GT.

Also I wouldn't use Black circles. Had terrible experience with them + arrogant fitter. Read the many horrid trust pilot reviews. Shit company in my experience.

I used Kwik fit .com ( Kwik fit mobile).  Before you go mad, they are a separate company to the normal Kwik fit and i have used them 3 times very recently and they were cheaper than anyone else , polite and did an excellent job .

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/search/d ... x/t1004472

Same price as crap circles.

Black circles used a knackered trolley jack and Kwih fit had the latest air jacks that don't damage your car.
Black circles don't give a time other than between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm whilst kwik fit give you a call early on the day and give you a good idea when they will come and also ring you half an hour before they arrive.

I know who i prefer , you pays your money and takes your choice.

Regards,

Nat.
[/quote]
But the fitter doesn't work directly for Black Circles, Black Circles simply use existing fitters in your local area. On the website you can select whichever fitter or tyre dealer you want to use, it's up to you. Some are rated highly, others are not. So select the fitter option that you know to have a good reputation or have personal experience of. Going through Black Circles just gets you a good price.

Nat

Post by Nat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi,

Good point well made. However its clear to me given  my experience the rating was worth diddly squat .
I paid the extra to have them fitted on the drive. For the record The  Premier Mobile fitting had the highest rating of all. 5 starts . I would give them zero.
This was a re-scheduled appointment as the first time they cancelled on me .  So you would think that having let me down once already they would make an effort. Nope. Turned up late , was rude , then became  arrogant , accused me of lying , proved him wrong by showing him the documentation and screenshots of the emails ,  he then told me he didn't work for black circles & didn't have to put up with attitude ,  stropped off into his van before shouting some abuse . Asked me if i wanted my tyres ? I said i wanted the service I had paid for, namely my tyres delivered and fitted between the agreed time. He muttered something I didn't hear ( but I can lip read )  and drove off.
Award wining customer service ? No........try complete tosser.
When i phoned black circles to complain/try get a resolution they gave it bovd.

I will never ever use them again. I'm just glad it was me at home on the day and not either of my daughters or my wife. If he had spoken to any of them like he spoke to me I would have knocked him into next week and he would need exploratory surgery to see if they could retrieve the trolley jack from out of his arse .You can't have that kind of oik turn up at your house , I don't care who he works for. However my contract was with black circles and not the cowboy fitting outfit.

Now why would I want the premier mobile service. Well last time I used black circles I went to their highest rated garage and they dropped my alloy wheel face down and damaged it.
Sadly I think many tyre fitters out there just rush and are slap dash. Its all down to bare minimum costs . No surprise really.
Me, i have learnt that  Id rather pay a little bit more and get someone who cares and its clear to me from my last 2 experiences with black circles that they are not up to the job. I found someone else who is the same price and far more professional.

So whilst you make a very valid point , sadly having looked at the reviews it still went horribly wrong. Furthermore it seems that black circles have no control over the fitters nor do the fitters give a flying you know what about black circles.

Like I said ,my personal experience ( twice ) has taught me that  I wouldn't touch them with yours.

MarkG_M3CP

Post by MarkG_M3CP » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:25 pm

Tyre fitting can be a complete nightmare and ultimately it comes down the the guy with the spanner.

Like you, I've had a bad experience; I've used the same fitting branch for 10 years and just order the tyres the cheapest way - direct, black circles (part of Michelin) or tyre leader.

However, just 2 days before my 335 went back, I needed a quick swap job done so dropped into Kwik-Fit (the centre, not mobile). I didn't care how good/bad they were as the car was going back.

Big mistake. 48 hours later I managed to keep the appointment with BCA to collect  the car - just! In between, the car was off  the road due to a threaded hub and a bloody great bill from BMW! I simply won't use Kwik-Fit again, ever.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:25 pm

Are the Dunlops * rated out of interest? What is road noise like on these 3rd generation run flats? I'm seriously considering non runflats for my F25 lci due to the crap pirelli p zeros the car came with

Sent from my iPhone
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.