Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air Suspension

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Air Suspension

Post by Turks » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:47 am

Ahh ok...

Jaysus thats a big bill... good job you have the WD cover. Hopefully they will pick up the lot - the only thing that might not get picked up by WD is if the indy has put labour charges for investigation / removal of other parts as they only pay for the parts and associated labour that are the problem.

You have PM.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

kena

Post by kena » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:12 pm

All fixed :D
Turns out the car had gone into transport mode, whatever that is.
Dealer reset it and reset the ride height so everything is fine now
Total bill £165 inc diagnostic.
Included in that they also fixed the PDC system. A wire had come loose on the sysstem somewhere.

ITBarbie

Air Suspension

Post by ITBarbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi Kena

I'm do glad you got it all fixed and happy. Also pleased the bill was a bit more palatable!

Why did it go into Transport mode? Was it some kind of sensor issue? I know nothing about these things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:50 pm

That's a PITA if a sensor just cost you that!

As ITBArbie asks - why would it go into that mode - you been carrying anything heavy in the car recently (that's not an invite for fat jokes)! :roll:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

kena

Post by kena » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:04 pm

[quote=""ITBarbie""]Hi Kena

I'm do glad you got it all fixed and happy. Also pleased the bill was a bit more palatable!

Why did it go into Transport mode? Was it some kind of sensor issue? I know nothing about these things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I've no idea Penny. Just had new front airbags/suspension fitted and new compressor at Indy.
When it came back it wasn't sitting right ( low at front and high at rear )
Indy thought it was due to the ECU for the suspension.
His diagnostic didn't pick up the transport mode thing.
Indy has refused to take any payment from me as he admits he got it wrong.

kena

Post by kena » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:05 pm

[quote=""Sanj""]That's a PITA if a sensor just cost you that!

As ITBArbie asks - why would it go into that mode - you been carrying anything heavy in the car recently (that's not an invite for fat jokes)! :roll:[/quote]

Nothing Sanj, would that cause it to go into transport mode.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:49 pm

[quote=""kena""]Nothing Sanj, would that cause it to go into transport mode.[/quote]

I recall seeing posts on the old forum, suspension probs when owners had carried heavy loads in the back, that's all...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

kena

Post by kena » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:23 am

[quote=""Sanj""][quote=""kena""]Nothing Sanj, would that cause it to go into transport mode.[/quote]

I recall seeing posts on the old forum, suspension probs when owners had carried heavy loads in the back, that's all...[/quote]

I had never heard of transport mode until yesterday.
Limp mode yes but not transport mode.
Anyway the X is running fine again and once again a pleasure to drive.
Am off to Manchester tomorrow to pick my son up so looking forward to giving her a long run out :driving:

jango-fett

Air Suspension

Post by jango-fett » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:36 am

Hi, transport mode is a feature used by the factory when shipping cars to dealers. It disables some customer functions such as radio, nav, window operation... This prevents the shipping company from messing about with the car eg putting data into radio, leaving windows open etc. Also, transport mode reduces the time required for the vehicle to go to sleep, saving battery power. This is useful to know if diagnosing quiescent current problems. If you have appropriate sw you can enable transport mode in all ecus and then wait only 5 minutes instead of 30 before the car sleeps.. (on the e70 onwards, havent tried it on an e53 yet).
2002 4.4i Sport E53,Silver,Grey Leather,Comms Pack
2001, MINI One....

ITBarbie

Air Suspension

Post by ITBarbie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:36 am

Thanks Jango-fett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

kena

Post by kena » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 pm

[quote=""jango-fett""]Hi, transport mode is a feature used by the factory when shipping cars to dealers. It disables some customer functions such as radio, nav, window operation... This prevents the shipping company from messing about with the car eg putting data into radio, leaving windows open etc. Also, transport mode reduces the time required for the vehicle to go to sleep, saving battery power. This is useful to know if diagnosing quiescent current problems. If you have appropriate sw you can enable transport mode in all ecus and then wait only 5 minutes instead of 30 before the car sleeps.. (on the e70 onwards, havent tried it on an e53 yet).[/quote]

cheers :thumbsup:
you learn something everyday. :)
The only thing affected was my ride height. Everything else functioned ok.

jango-fett

Air Suspension

Post by jango-fett » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:12 pm

It is possible only this ecu was in transport mode, affecting only the suspension side of things. Each ecu needs to be done individually and only affects the small amount of functionality that each ecu is responsible for.....thats why nothing else was affected.

I am guessing the new ecu was delivered in this condition. Coding the part will not take it out of transport mode, a special diagnostic job needs to be run to do that.

Glad its all sorted for you now.
2002 4.4i Sport E53,Silver,Grey Leather,Comms Pack
2001, MINI One....

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Nice one jango-fett - makes sense when you think about it.

Good luck Kena and enjoy the ride - glad all sorted buddy!