Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Must have's?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Ducklakeview

Re: Must have's?

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:11 pm

[quote="snrbrtsn"]
Re your questions

Three stereo packages
Basic, logic & individual picture is mine, is the easiest way to differiate
By looking on the rear door,
A single speaker - basic
Two speakers - logic
Two Speakers with silver grilles - Individual

The sat nav, you rightfully note as good, professional premium mapping, expect these to need updating, easily done and maps available for download for minimal cost though you'll need a FSC code also

There's no mention of high beam assist, or adaptive lights though one of those if you've never had you'll not miss

The light package gives exterior door handle illumination and additional ambient lighting on top of the door bins & additional footwell lighting, allbeit not the best. I have this and looking to code the brightness - work in process!

S6NF - don't have this but also don't have Bluetooth streaming so can't comment

Enjoy, car shopping is always good
[/quote]

Judging by this pic, it only has the basic stereo though :(

Mike
2012 X5 40d - Loving it..
Z4 3.0 - With LOTS of mods  ::)
#TheZedShed

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi

If also getting from a dealer whether BMW or Indy then make sure you get a warranty the statutory is only 3 months but it's worth getting. The best You can as some will vouch they are worth. Their weight in gold (or BMW parts at least) giving you piece of mind.

Also worth checking on whether it's had or needs the diff checked as iirc I think Condor has had this just done on that X5 E70 and also others.

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Ducklakeview

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:30 pm

[quote="graemeX5"]
Hi

If also getting from a dealer whether BMW or Indy then make sure you get a warranty the statutory is only 3 months but it's worth getting. The best You can as some will vouch they are worth. Their weight in gold (or BMW parts at least) giving you piece of mind.

Also worth checking on whether it's had or needs the diff checked as iirc I think Condor has had this just done on that X5 E70 and also others.

Graeme
[/quote]

I also make a point of paying £100 on a credit card..

Amazing what protection you can get from Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act..

Had an ML270 about 12 years ago, only 5 years old, gearbox went, then a diff and then alternator..

All repairs covered in full by the credit card company, without quibbling, around £8,000 in total :)

Hence why I never bought another Merc!

Mike
#TheZedShed

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:05 pm

6NF added a USB interface into the phone cradle in the armrest.  Up until Apple introduced the Lightning connector is allowed you to put the media cradle adapter plate on and take video from the phone music library over to the car.  When the new connector came in, that stopped!

6FL gives you USB in the centre armrest as well as the glovebox.

No mention of HiFi audio which lends credence to it being the base speaker system.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

NehalX5

Post by NehalX5 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:20 pm

It has the base stereo system.

If the car is a regular family carrier, I suggest rear heated seats, rear climate control or the DVD player. All are good options.

That car has a good spec, but be aware of the regular sound system as it can be very lacklustre. Our old E39 had the upgraded sound system and that was rubbish in 1999, so the original was horrible. BMW have always had bad regular sound systems, annoying really as Volvo had cracked it with their professional dolby sound systems in the XC90 in 2004!
BMW E70 X5 3.0sd | M-Sport | 7 Seats
Audi A6 C6 3.0TFSI Quattro S-Line tiptronic
Citroën C1 1.0 VTR
BMW E39 528i SE Manual

Ducklakeview

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:36 am

[quote="NehalX5"]
It has the base stereo system.

If the car is a regular family carrier, I suggest rear heated seats, rear climate control or the DVD player. All are good options.

That car has a good spec, but be aware of the regular sound system as it can be very lacklustre. Our old E39 had the upgraded sound system and that was rubbish in 1999, so the original was horrible. BMW have always had bad regular sound systems, annoying really as Volvo had cracked it with their professional dolby sound systems in the XC90 in 2004!
[/quote]

Tell me about it - I have had the Dolby Pro system with twin subs in both my prev and current XC90 and it is awesome, however I think the 10 speaker optional HI-Fi with DSP in my Z4 eclipses it, just..

Mike
#TheZedShed

knackeredoldman

Post by knackeredoldman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:18 pm

I also make a point of paying £100 on a credit card..

Amazing what protection you can get from Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act..
^^ deffo this. Coverage up to 20K I think.

If you go for the BMW insured warranty then under 60K mile makes roughly 100% price difference and I think if you pay monthly then the price is fixed till you cease.
Last edited by knackeredoldman on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:01 pm

I have a monthly paid BMW Warranty and the price has only changed (upwards!) due to increases in Insurance Premium Tax.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

knackeredoldman

Post by knackeredoldman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks. I'll take that over 100% increase  :)

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:26 pm

So Duck ... what was that 40d like then?
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Ducklakeview

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:12 am

[quote="pvr"]
So Duck ... what was that 40d like then?
[/quote]

Loved it, but the one I drove had the basic stereo and no high beam assist, so the hunt continues..

The torque of the thing is unreal, and it's no slouch even considering the weight, something like 2,200kg?

Felt as quick, if not quicker than my Zed!

Ride a bit on the hard side when compared to my XC90, but not as bad as I'd been led to believe, and it was on run flats. As for handling, in a different league to the XC90, and the grip, combined with the shove out of bends/roundabouts was quite addictive, the poor sales guy turned a funny shade once or twice on my 10 mile drive  :)

Thing is, now it HAS to be a 40d, and an M Sport  ::)

Mike
#TheZedShed

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:24 am

Is high beam assist that important if everything else checks out ok?
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Ducklakeview

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:27 am

[quote="pvr"]
Is high beam assist that important if everything else checks out ok?
[/quote]

Yup, because that was strangely, the only one I've seen without it. Stereo was a deal breaker though.

Mike
#TheZedShed

Nine468

Post by Nine468 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:51 am

Regarding the "deal breaker" stereo,,,, You can always get an aftermarket kit fitted, theres a few companies out there that do a full kit for the X5.
So long as the car is the right price to start with...
Thats what im contemplating..
Dave W.
BMW E70 X5 40D

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Your as well hanging out for ticks in all the boxes, retrofitting is expensive and examples are plentiful.

Re The handling, you should consider putting self levelling suspension on the list, works in tandem with the xdrive of the 4.0d and allows for flat cornering, little lean / Body roll & provides saloon like handling.
I'm still surprised at the abuse I can throw into cornering with little body roll, checking the specs of the car you test drove will confirm fitment.