Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tailgate button

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
marinaman

Tailgate button

Post by marinaman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi all
Can anyone tell me how to make the upper tailgate button work better,  when you press on it you really have to press with all fingers till you go red in the face, upwards to make it pop,  the wife cant manage it at all.  cant seem to find a repair kit or anything online, this is in the outside of the tailgate where the number plate lights are.
Thanks
B&B by the sea in sunny Bridlington, best rates for members  :) www.themarina-bridlington.com

Denis O

Re: Tailgate button

Post by Denis O » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:55 pm

You could have a go at cleaning it but why not just use the button on the dash or the key fob.
06 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC
05 Mercedes SL350

themoog

Post by themoog » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:06 pm

The switches wear out. They are only small microswitches. Some tailgate handles can be dismantled and the switch replace but some are a sealed unit. If I were you I would just by another from eBay or a breakers.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:03 pm

[quote="themoog"]
The switches wear out. They are only small microswitches. Some tailgate handles can be dismantled and the switch replace but some are a sealed unit. If I were you I would just by another from eBay or a breakers.
[/quote]

Your correct! I deleted my foolish suggestion!
I recall changing on F07, opening up to find Heath Robinson style micro switches under the hand hold, quite common according to the dealer when I went for replacement!
Last edited by snrbrtsn on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grumpywurzel

Post by grumpywurzel » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:58 am

Mine packed in ages ago, tbh I am too lazy to replace the unit so I just use the button in the car or on the key fob  :-[
2005 X5 3.0d Sport

Mods: Engine Re-Map, LED Angel Eyes, HID Upgrade, Cobra Quad Tip Exhaust, Pioneer Head Unit, E70 rear wiper   :) and a new Gearbox :'(

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 pm

I cut my son's sealed  one open with a dremel and inside is a little circuit board with the 2 micro switches, got a replacement pair from Maplins and soldered them in. Complete PITA to do but one of them things, "now I've started" If I priced it out with petrol to go to Maplins and charged 5p an hour for my labour it would have been cheaper just to buy one.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone