Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brown froth in coolant??

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
Jm123

Brown froth in coolant??

Post by Jm123 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Afternoon all,

We bought a second used x3 three days ago and the coolant light flashed up this morning so I went bought some. I unscrewed the cap and noticed a whole load of frothy brown stuff at the top which I'm pretty sure is oil. Also, it didn't take that much coolant in either which has made my concerns even greater.

Has anyone any ideas on this or, anywhere else I can look to double check any problems?

Thanks in advance!

jagr

Re: Brown froth in coolant??

Post by jagr » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:22 pm

That doesn't sound good at all. Did you buy from a dealer if so take it straight back and let hime do a coolant flush.

If bought privately do a flush and hope for the best.
2011 BMW X3 30d M Sport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Worth looking to see if there is any 'mayo' under the oil cap.

If there is then I suspect a head gasket problem.  :(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Jm123

Post by Jm123 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Nope. No 'mayo', just a bit of gunk from the froth and that's it. I noticed a bit of leaking under the car this morning but nothing since. I've got a trusty bit of cardboard underneath to see if i can work out what the leak is so i'll double check that in the morning.

Odd though that it only took a small bit of coolant whereas the coolant indicator was telling me it was very low so who knows. The car came with a warranty but the reviews for them are awful so, i'll keep checking the cap/coolant/underneath and if it continues it'll go back.

Any other pointers are always grateful. Cheers gents.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:36 pm

[quote="Jm123"]
Nope. No 'mayo', just a bit of gunk from the froth and that's it. I noticed a bit of leaking under the car this morning but nothing since. I've got a trusty bit of cardboard underneath to see if i can work out what the leak is so i'll double check that in the morning.

Odd though that it only took a small bit of coolant whereas the coolant indicator was telling me it was very low so who knows. The car came with a warranty but the reviews for them are awful so, i'll keep checking the cap/coolant/underneath and if it continues it'll go back.

Any other pointers are always grateful. Cheers gents.
[/quote
Oil will float to the top of water, so any oil will end up in the expansion tank.
As the level indicator only reads what's in the expansion tank which will quite small and fluctuates the level somewhat when the coolant is hot /cold.
When cold it should only be filled just above the min mark. My X3 has a yellow stepped block in the expansion tank not the float ar in MyE93 or old E53, 1/2 litre of coolant makes all the difference.
The oil scum could have been in there for ages, usually a head gasket results in water in the oil, as the coolant pressure is higher than the oil pressure. Not the other way around.
I can understand your worry as with a new car we are always expecting the worst.
You havnt said what  X3 you have. It's a good idea to put more info in you signature so people can help you easier if they know if it's a Diesel/ petrol, what size engine, manual or auto, year of manufactrure etc
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:48 am

If you bought it from a dealer then they have to put it right.
They have to give you 3 months warranty by law so just take it back.

Riggie

Post by Riggie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:39 am

Not sure 3 months warranty is correct. The Consumer Rights Act governs the sale by a dealer. You have a right to reject the car in the first 30 days.

here's a useful link :https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:30 am

Looks like it all changed October 2015.
Still if you have not had it 30 days then go back to the dealer and get him to sort it out.