Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driver door lock problem replacement----Have a urgent problem

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
RickUK

Driver door lock problem replacement----Have a urgent problem

Post by RickUK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:53 pm

On thursday my drivers front door lock becam a victim of the broken door lock syndrome so ordered a replacement which arrived this morning.

The door panel and everything has been stripped and everything was going well till a cast type of alloy or monkey metal spacer/bracket type of thing fell out,this has held me up for about 4-5 hours as i am ready to put the new lock in and rebuild everything back up again.

I dont have a camera handy so cannot take a picture of this cast spacer or what ever it is called,its about 2.5'' wide and in a semi circle on the bracket it has 'BMW' and 7.025.992 i am hoping this would be the part no or some form of i.d,by the looks od it and i could well be wrong it looks like it could be security type cover for the lock barrel,but my assumption on that could be wrong.

So at the moment i have the car sat on the drive and cannot do anything till i find how this bracket/spacer or what ever it is goes back in the door.So has anyone any suggestion on how it goes back into the door,it fell off while i took the old lock off and could not see fr4om the actual location that it came from.

Many thanks
2006 '56 BMW X5 D M SPORT LE-MANS EDITION

http://www.hideones.info

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Driver door lock problem replacement----Have a urgent problem

Post by Horizon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:12 pm

Is this any use, it's off real oem, just put a random 2004 X5 in, if it helps use your last 7 digits of your vin
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:19 pm

Many thanks for the parts no list,but cannot see anything like that in any of the parts showing,so this has me perplexed,what is it that dropped down and i am alsomost certain it has something to do with the mechanism but nothing appears to be broken off.So at the moment i am bloody stuck till i find out what it is and the location it came from.

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Just taken a few photos will try and get them up in a few minutes.

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Oh well,once again having problems uploading pictures,i have uploaded them to my computer but its a bloody nightmare trying to upload to this forum.

So not sure what else i can do.

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Finally got a picture uploaded

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:52 pm

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Well this one is a total mystery,have just had a look on realOEM.com on the fittings inside the driver door and cannot see anything that resembles the bit that i found in the door,could it be a rouge part or something that i cannot find as yet ?? of course i am hoping its nothing what so ever snd i can either put in back together tonight or tomorrow with out that item.

But until i am 100% sure then i will keep the door stripped down,but must admit its a total mystery this one,a part drops down from inside the door in the location of the door lock etc but the parts list tells me other wise.

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Just a quick question,currently i have the battery disconnected while i was doing the door lock,could i leave it disconnected or quickly plug the airbag back in and connect the battery so that i can at least log the car for tonight and start again on it tomorrow morning ??

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:13 am

At 2.00am had a light bulb moment and finally worked out how this spacer/bracket thing goes back together,so 1st thing in the morning the door should all be back together again,wasted about 4 hours yesterday on how this fits onto the carrier and then 2.00am in the morning i fathom it out.

Will update again about mid morning but glad i have resolved it.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:53 am

Oh please, do tell,where it went.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:50 pm

[quote="lezmtaylor"]

Lez
[/quote]

Lez,this bracket/spacer or what ever its called slides on too the rhs side of the door handle carrier it slides into the side of the carrier,the best way to describe it the door lock barrel end of carrier and when you locate the barrel back into the door again the allan screw on the side of the door tightens it all up.

This is the crazy thing that the mystery part is not shown as a individual part or a sub part of the carrier or infact any part of the door lock assembly,so this was causing the problems,as how can you install something which as far as i can see is not a official part,but of course i stand to be corrected on this one.

The new lock assembly is all installed and work fine but am having slight problems with fitting the door card back on,i think 4 clips are missing from the door card,but these had been left off from a previous change of a door lock.I think as the clips had been left off i might replace the card as it is.The catual problem that i am having is not sure how the cable from the inside door release,will have a look later on and then probably fit the card and finish it all of.

4X4 light has come on but that is probably due to the battery being dis-connected but at least i can drive it again and open the door from the outside.

Taking a break for a while and then start again when its cooler.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:16 pm

[quote="RickUK"]
[quote="lezmtaylor"]

Lez
[/quote]

Lez,this bracket/spacer or what ever its called slides on too the rhs side of the door handle carrier it slides into the side of the carrier,the best way to describe it the door lock barrel end of carrier and when you locate the barrel back into the door again the allan screw on the side of the door tightens it all up.

This is the crazy thing that the mystery part is not shown as a individual part or a sub part of the carrier or infact any part of the door lock assembly,so this was causing the problems,as how can you install something which as far as i can see is not a official part,but of course i stand to be corrected on this one.

The new lock assembly is all installed and work fine but am having slight problems with fitting the door card back on,i think 4 clips are missing from the door card,but these had been left off from a previous change of a door lock.I think as the clips had been left off i might replace the card as it is.The catual problem that i am having is not sure how the cable from the inside door release,will have a look later on and then probably fit the card and finish it all of.

4X4 light has come on but that is probably due to the battery being dis-connected but at least i can drive it again and open the door from the outside.

Taking a break for a while and then start again when its cooler.
[/quote]
Great result so far.
Regarding the 4x4 light after the battery had been disconnected, this is normal, drive the car slowly forward and turn the steering lock to lock then back to centre, this recalibrates the steering angle sensor. Then the light should go off.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:21 pm

@Horizon,yep the 4x4 light went out as soon as i drove it down the road,which is good new,but i do have another slight light glitch that wont go out as yet and its the air bag sensor bag,pretty certain this is a result of taking the side impact airbag out.But will double check the plug but if the plug is fully plugging as normal etc,do i need to delete the code ?? i am hoping its just that simple a job or is it more sinister than that.

I will put the door card on tomorrow morning,its way too hot at the moment and can drive it as it is,but glad the main door handle problem is resolved but until its all back to normal and running 100% perfect again i wont be happy.

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Just finished doing the driver side door handle,it took a little longer than i had expected but at least its finished,no spare screws left over lol

One thing i have lost though is the guide on the top of the door panel that the pull up knob goes through,it can be fitted at anytime as all it is a push fit,will locate one later on from Ebay.

Only thing that need doing is delete the airbag code,that can wait till in the morning.

Many thanks for all your help  ;)