Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

This week's upgrades and progress..

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
RossC

Re: This week's upgrades and progress..

Post by RossC » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:21 pm

[quote="bascule"]Phone Bracket - I'd like a nice holder for the mobile - so many of them are utter plakky rubbish, any recommendations appreciated.[/quote]

Hi Ben, sorry for the late recommendation...

There are various versions of the Brodit ProClip available for the X5 - I chose the one down by the gear selector (console mount) which seems to be out of the way of most controls and other things, including passengers legs.

The ProClip provides a screwless mount, and then you can fit most cradles to it.  My Brodit iPhone SE cradle comes with a swivel mount for loads of adjustment, but I didn't feel the need to use it, as I was happy with the ProClip position as it was, so simply mounted the holder directly to it, without the need for any further adjustment.

I think it's quite a neat solution, and no damage to the interior trim, as it simply clips in place.

Brodit details here.
2006 E53 X5 3.0i Sport

Lyons

Post by Lyons » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:33 am

Looks like a great example!

Any photos of the 3D map view? How do you get this hidden menu up?

bascule

Post by bascule » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:27 pm

[quote="Lyons"]
Looks like a great example!

Any photos of the 3D map view? How do you get this hidden menu up?
[/quote]

Of course -

Before:

After:

There's two steps.  The hidden menu, I think I had to go to settings and hold the menu button down for about 10 seconds.  A new menu appears, mostly giving version numbers etc for different modules, but if you keep scrolling to the next page you get Perspective option - turn it on there first.

However, you also then need to go into the satnav map view - the bit where you choose wide or split screen view also allows perspective to be enabled there.  you need it switched on in the hidden and in the normal view.

Hope that helps!

Lyons

Post by Lyons » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:34 pm

That is delightful!! Must give it a go, cheers.

Though I usually just use google maps as the address input of the oem Nav is dire.

bascule

Post by bascule » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:54 am

[quote="Lyons"]
That is delightful!! Must give it a go, cheers.

Though I usually just use google maps as the address input of the oem Nav is dire.
[/quote]

Have you updated the firmware? massive improvement, full postcode entry etc..

Lyons

Post by Lyons » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:06 pm

It's been in my to do list since August!

Where did you get it?

bascule

Post by bascule » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:53 am

So this week..

Got three different quotes for the front outer bushes and replacing the diff oil seals. Dealt with aftermath of local scum putting nails under tyres.  Remembered to order new numberplate for the caravan to match the beemer.

So, new dashcam arrived for the rear.  I'll be runing both this one and the front one in 'parking' mode, so they'll function as normal dashcams while driving, but also record on a motion sensing basis while parked up overnight. (I'd love to know who's been keying the local cars and leaving nails etc!)

Very straightforward.

I already had a 412Gw for the front, but they've just released the 512, both using the same magnetic latch for the camera itself which is excellent, so I've bought the 512 for the front (it's got a circular polarising filter and a sony exmoor sensor) and relocating the 412 to the rear.

Definitely worth buying the hardwire kit - no trailing cables once fitted, and very easy.  Has a good long lead for the power feed to the camera, a nice compact 12v to 5v regulator, another good length of 12v lead, two different fuse adaptors too.

It comes with two mounts, a standard suction cup one and a proper 3M VHB sticky backed mount.  I much prefer the proper mount, they dont shift and are far more compact.  This one even tucks slightly under the trim round the rear window.

with the trim popped off, you can easily tuck the power cable along using the clips for the other cables there by the FM antenna unit.

You need to remove just one screw by the parcel shelf mounts to release the side trim, and run the power cable underneath and up to the corner - I have it tucked under the rubbers where it comes through, and clipped by the normal cable feed to the upper hatch and under the trim again.  Very little to see!

For the switched supply, most if not all of the fuses in the boot turned out to be a permanent live which was a shame.  However, I used this feed shown here on the leftmost unused relay socket and an inline fuse for the dashcam unit - it's a properly ignition switched 12v, just what I needed. (Pic taken while testing - it's all neat now!)

Clip it all back together, and that's it.  It's quite discreet viewed from outside, as it's in the shade of the spoiler trim.  The field of view is high and central, and through the patch that is kept clean by the rear wiper, so better than a side mounting.

It's high enough to have very little impact on the view through the rear view mirror too.  The screen lights up when you start the car, but I have it set to go blank 10 seconds in, so there's no distraction whatsoever from it.

Oh, also replaced my centre caps.  I want the wheels refurbished as soon as there's spare £££, but in the meantime, these were a really cheap improvement, especially given how bad the old ones were! Ebay specials, but fine!

Hope you've had a good week :)

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:24 am

Hi

Glad to see this weekends jobs went okay.

A very helpful write up with pics about the dashcam which is good for me and others forum members.

Ps those centre caps do make a difference to how the car looks. :thumbsup:

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

bascule

Post by bascule » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Well..  It's been a PROPERLY expensive week.

Took Friday off work and headed down to North Dorset, about 80 miles from me, to get there for 8.30am to see the fabulous Ed at Motcombe Garage.  Ed has looked after my cars for several years, up until I moved - but a big job like this its well worth going back to a mechanic I trust completely,and also happened to be the best price. Well worth the trip. 

New front and rear control arms and bushes both sides at the front, both rear differential oil seals replaced, replaced diff fluid, a really thorough check over everything (including testing boiling point on sample of brake fluid etc) and a major service with all the filters.  Blanked off the EGR at the same time.

Ever so pleased - the car drove lovely before, and the control arms and oil seals were just advisories from last months MOT, but I'm a huge believer in not ignoring these things - and was pleasantly surprised at the difference this all made.  The car has only done a few thousand miles in the last few years, is only on 90k now, but the service difference is huge.  So much smoother, definitely more responsive, and feels way 'tighter' - basically drives like brand new now! 

Was surprised at the size of that air filter - wowsers.

Nice to find previous owner had fitted genuine Brembo discs on the front too..!

So I've got through another £700+ this week - but now have a car that as far as I'm aware has absolutely no mechanical fault whatsoever, fresh Mot, all advisories fixed too, fresh major service and drives beautifully - marvellous!

My wish list now is:
Refurb on the alloys.
Maybe get the few dead pixels on the dash fixed.
Maybe get the main beam converted to HID or LED (dip is already HID)
Silicon wipers (loved them on the last few cars)

ummm...  I think that's actually it..  what a nice position to be in.  Just want to get on with enjoying it now :)  Off down to Devon and Cornwall with the grockle box in a few weeks time with my daughter and some friends - bring it on!

Hope you've all had a good week :)

marko96

Post by marko96 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:02 am

Hi can you explain how you updated the sat nav and where you got the updated disc from.
Thanks
2004 4.4i facelift

bascule

Post by bascule » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:00 am

Just added up the spend in three months of ownership..  ouch.

however, I now have a car with no known faults whatsoever (other than some dead pixels I not fussed about!), a fresh MOT, all advisories fixed and freshly serviced too.

Front dashcam & hardwire kit £120
Bmw Aux lead £10
Led bulbs £6.50
Rear wiper arm £12
Second electrics & socket for towbar £60
Parrot Bluetooth loom and interface leads £45
Mats £40
MOT,(inc balljoint and bush replacement) £200
Puncture repairs £30
2nd Dashcam and hardwire kit £135
wheel caps £12
Major service, all control arms and bushes, rear diff seals replaced £700
Headlamp washer pump £16
Satnav firmware & updates £18.50

Adds up to just over £1400.  £500 of that is elective stuff rather than maintenance or repairs though.

I am seriously hoping that that's it - It's clearly a good base car, those items have addressed everything that was even slightly off..

Including purchase that adds up to £5.5k.  That's high for a 53 plate for sure - but I see a lot still going for £4k or so, with nearly twice the mileage.

Now to see if it can make it to the next MOT next year without adding any more to that list! :-\

bascule

Post by bascule » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:08 pm

[quote="marko96"]
Hi can you explain how you updated the sat nav and where you got the updated disc from.
Thanks
[/quote]

Not without having my reply deleted, apparently. ;)  Fair enough, it's in the rules.  Once you've sourced your updated firmware and nav discs (from bmw of course), its very very easy to do - takes about 6 minutes to update the firmware, and the updated discs are recognised as soon as you put them in after.

bascule

Post by bascule » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:15 pm

This week's jobs - just a laser alignment at £59, as the last step following on from all the suspension parts.  it was quite out at the front, took them a while (and some direct applied heat) to make the adjustments, don't think they'd been done for a while - very smooth now, steering feels a lot better. All lovely and tight!

So, all faults resolved, I'm on to wish-list stuff now.

I need to get some clips and refit the driver's door interior panel - it's obviously been off ( I think for the usual handle carrier), and not refitted properly up at the front - I cannot abide rattles or knocks, and it vibrates a little.  Got to be sorted.  I have a similar panel at the rear tailgate. 

I will get to the point where there is not the slightest trace of rattle or knock anywhere!

I will replace the upper tailgate at some point too.  It's been replaced after he backed into a tree, and not painted well - I suspect it will be cheaper to replace with one from a breaker in the right colour, than get that one re-done...

bascule

Post by bascule » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Well -  she's just hit 95k, so I've covered 12,000 miles since May..  cheeky update time.

Since the last post four months ago, the only thing I've done is replace the high beam bulbs with LED ones - possibly the best value mod I've ever done, on any car!  Staggering results, at a £32 cost.

No issues have presented at all, she's been simply marvelous, and a pleasure to drive, including tugging a caravan all round Devon and Cornwall for two weeks. 

No regrets about buying this car whatsoever, I love that she's the manual, especially with the remap she properly flies - quicker than the auto to begin with too, (though none of them are rocket ships eh!) and no worrying about expensive gearbox rebuilds.

12000 miles of cloth seats, (the first cloth seats Ive had in many years!) and that's fine too. Having driven the GFs X3 the other day with black leather - the cloth is definitely warmer, more comfy and you don't slide about!  I prefer the look of leather if its the pale colour rather than black, but these are very easy to live with.

My average weekly mpg is almost exactly 30.  Some weeks its 29.2, some it's 31, but 30mpg seems pretty much the default figure for my commute.  I can easily hit near 40 on a careful run - but that's not realistic for a  week of a busy town and motorway commute!

I bought one of the software tools and installed on my laptop - all works fine and no errors found which was pleasing - need to get my head round changing some of the options though.  I'd like to DISABLE the auto-locking when you hit 12mph (or whatever it is) I just find that annoying.  I'd like to know if its possible to ENABLE leaving the headlights on for 15 seconds when you lock the car, like my old Audi did.

Scariest Moment - hitting an unseen lake of water that was pitch black across both lanes on the A31 (while travelling rather faster than I should have been in the small hours tbh)  Boom..  couldnt see a thing for probably 5 seconds, just water everywhere..  slowed it right down for sure, but not a twitch, no planing, kept completely straight, just scared the crap outta me..  Nice one X5.

Best moment though, was that first properly Icy morning last week, standing in my bedroom having zapped the webasto with the remote, and seeing it doing it's thing..  nice warm car, one flick of the wipers to deal with the melted ice while the neighbours scraped theirs with a credit card - proper smug mode!

Hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am!