Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is it time to sell the petrol or diesel car and go electric

General car related chat
graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Is it time to sell the petrol or diesel car and go electric

Post by graemeX5 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi All

I have just heard today about the Governments intention to ban all petrol and diesel cars in 2040, after France has already stated this.

So as the clock is now ticking for all of us is it time to start thinking about changing, as some have done on here to

a) hybrid or b) fully electric ?

And what is this going to do to sales and prices of new and secondhand petrol and diesel (fossil fuel) cars ? 

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Is it time to sell the petrol or diesel car and go electric

Post by jaynana » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:46 pm

I think I'd buy a Petrol with even more horses while I can  8)
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:56 pm

I though it said the sale of petrol and diesel from 2040.

IanP

Post by IanP » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:24 pm

It's the sale of all NEW ic cars from 2040. Doubt i will care by then so intend driving fast cars and riding fast motorbikes until I can't afford the fuel costs.

Denis O

Post by Denis O » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:25 pm

[quote="jaynana"]
I think I'd buy a Petrol with even more horses while I can  8)
[/quote]

The correct response from a proper petrolhead.

Come on boys. Get rid of your oil burners before the politicians make them illegal in a couple of years and all buy V8's before they ban fossil fuels, altogether.
06 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC
05 Mercedes SL350

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:53 pm

[quote="graemeX5"]
Hi All

I have just heard today about the Governments intention to ban all petrol and diesel cars in 2040, after France has already stated this.

So as the clock is now ticking for all of us is it time to start thinking about changing, as some have done on here to
L
  a) hybrid or b) fully electric ?

And what is this going to do to sales and prices of new and secondhand petrol and diesel (fossil fuel) cars ? 

Graeme
[/quote]
With Tesla achieving 0-60 times of 3&4 seconds now, who will want a petrol and diesel car in. The future.
A lot of new top end cars now have a built in fake soundtrack to make you feel your not missing your V8 when they have had to fit a turbo charged V6 instead.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

bascule

Post by bascule » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Yep!  in 2040 i'll be 74, and eyeing those smart little 1-seater electric shopping buggies..

Until then, lets all do our bit for global warming! ;)

I have hated every hybrid I've driven - far better just to take the leap and do it properly. With the levels of investment in battery tech currently, I'm sure the range vs weight issue will be well resolved by then. (If they can get 38 tonners to the point where they can run all day on a charge and actually get uphill too - marvellous. Ideally without 10t of batteries!)

What I'd love to see is a LOT more effort into retro-fitting electrics to conventional vehicles. Theres a good few folks doing it, and I watch some of these videos with a lot of interest.  For a weekend motor where range is less of an issue, what a fun project..  Love the thought of a classic shorty Defender with a pair of Tesla motors.. wave ta-ta to the local chavs away from the lights..  there's a guy in Romania who has engineered a universal controller, works with the tesla lumps, the prius , the Mercedes hybrid one, (which is mostly a badge engineered tesla)..  I would love to get stuck into a project like that!

I reckon there's going to be massive interest in this area, and probably the only way to keep some much loved classics as usable vehicles in the long term rather than museum pieces or special event days.

It will be interesting to see whether fire suppressant systems make it into standard vehicles..  If we're all loaded up with lithium (or equiv) batteries, it's no fun when those buggers go up.

Interesting times ahead, and much as we love our V8s, there's a certain inevitability about this. 

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:12 pm

[quote="Horizon"]
As for 2040, I will be dead or past caring by then anyway
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:26 am

I have considered my post in specific relation to the topic title in which OP (Graeme) asks is it time sell fossil fuel cars and go electric....

For me sat here typing right now in 2017 the answer is NO.

3 main reasons not to change would be.....initial purchase cost, hybrid or EV technology repair cost out of warranty, range for plug in only & poor charging infrastructure.  (Govt  & employers need to do more to incentfy staff to drive plug in vehicles if they genuinely want to help with cleaner air).

A new plug in electric only vehicle would be a relatively expensive purchase for me. I could not justify or afford a new or used Tesla. At other end of performace scale we have the Leaf. Not wholly practical as sole family car....especially those wanting more space &/or driving performance.

Plug in electric and fossil hybrids are of a little more relevance albeit I understand that allegedly many have reported being disappointed with range and mpg. I don't plan to buy a used or new Mitsubishi PHEV this week.

Plug in Charging infrastrucure is poor. Plenty of bosses already driving plug in only EV's to work and recharging there. I suspect many bosses would be unlikely to allow multiple employees to plug and recharge at work for free.....thus for single work place commuters such vehicles end up as novelty items used by the relatively richer boss who pays the electric bill at work. Until we see workplaces with rows of plugs for staff cars I don't see things changing....perhaps government grants are needed to make this happen. Bosses not wanting to provide free electricity could provide pre pay or wage deducted key charging or similar for staff so costs do not spiral. Bosses and CEO's need to step up if they truly want to be apart of change to a cleaner world.

In 2017 for me...Fossil & self regen/recharge Hybrids are probably the most relevant to for me.... that would probably mean a used Lexus RX400h or RX450h. Appealing in terms of emissions in electric cycle but not so appealing when one considers cost of repairs outside of warranty & when car over 10 years old.... The fuel cost per mile savings aren't high and thus the only advantage to me would be feeling happier re emissions and damage to planet.....I should add I have looked at used Lexus RX 400h & 450h models quite seriously.

I am by no means Anti-Trump, however I consider Elon Musk (CEO Tesla & SpaceX), to be the most influential, reponsible  and forward thinking technology enterpenuer of my lifetime. A shame that Trump is allegedly not on board with cleaner energy & lower emissions.

Saying sod it let's buy gas guzzlers NOW might seem funny but I suspect our grandchildren or their kids might not share that view in years ahead....assuming the world hasn't been destroyed prior to or in their anticipated lifetimes !

I type this having also been looking at used V8 petrol cars....I am very mindful there can be hypocrisy when petrolheads  try to talk more esponsibly re emissions.

If money was no object I would happily own a Tesla CLICKY LINK HERE

Model S awesome. Model X appeals to SUV/SAV sector but the Model 3 will potentiallty be the game changer as it promises to be far more (relatively) affordable. The Tesla website makes interesting reading, some significant incentives on their website for those keen on business options. Recent Tesla board appointments are potentially promising too. Interesting times.
Last edited by AW8 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:23 pm

This might be happening but it is over 20 years away.
Is anybody that buys an electric vehicle now still going to have it in 20 years?
Buy what you want now and start thinking of what electric car to buy in another 15-20 years.
Or like most on here probably we will be OAPs and not really care what we are allowed to drive as we wont be able to afford it anyway.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Some may feel that what we drive now might impact the future later......if not for us then for later generations.....assuming humamity gets that far.
Last edited by AW8 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:53 pm

My 3 1/2 month old baby boy has only ever been in my F10 M5 and he loves it and it's the only car to settle him down
I suppose he's use to the sound of it from when he was 9 months in the womb
It was the only car I used to get us to the hospital in 9 mins flat when my wife was in labour with 1 1/2 mins between contractions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
PERFORMANCE TUNING REMAPS,DIAGNOSTICS,SERVICE & REPAIRS
TUNING DEALERS ACROSS THE UK
DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLING ROAD
http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk
http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:11 pm

Need a 'Like' button..... :))

And Congrats Jason  :bravo:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi
Jason Congrats also on you new son and glad to see he's been brought up on V8's already.

It just shows BMW's have their use apart from the ultimate driving machine, they are also they are a Baby Miracle Worker in sending them off to sleep  :))

As AW8 says I guess we all need to do our bit to help the environment and our future.

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:03 pm

[quote="AW8"]
Some may feel that what we drive now might impact the future later......if not for us then for later generations.....assuming humamity gets that far.
[/quote]

And, the best part is, so says the admin of a gas guzzlers forum [emoji12]
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d