Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Differential fluid change...

How-To articles ONLY go here.
Entwicklung34

Differential fluid change...

Post by Entwicklung34 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi there,

I've just completed the front/rear differential fluid change and I was worried about under filling so I emptied, then pumped fluid in until it started to spill out of the fill hole and got the fill plug back in as quickly as possible.

Now, my dilemma is... should I have left the plug out until it stopped dripping? I was more concerned with under filling than over filling however i've read articles/threads online advocating both methods so any advice would be most welcomed.

Interestingly I removed the rear diff fill plug fully before undoing the drain plug and fluid flowed out... this suggested to me a flow out of the fill plug is correct, but I didn't do this with the front diff.

Would you remove the fill until it stops flowing then close it off, or leave it with the steady flow?

Thanks very much in advance.

snrbrtsn

Re: Differential fluid change...

Post by snrbrtsn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:39 pm

If the cars level, fill until it runs out, if it's s trickle overfilled I'm sure you'll be fine.
The gearbox is a different story and requires a set procedure to drain and replenish to correct level.

The problem with overfilling is the volume removes the air gap for expansion of fluid as it heats under use, combined with removal of air gap for pressure increase due to splash fed bearings, overfilling tends to cause what looks like seal failure, though in reality it's simply too much fluid.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:42 pm

It will be fine. The fill plug is at a certain level to stop overfilling, i.e. Diffs, gearboxes etc.
All our equipment at work have a fill plug at a max level to prevent over filling leading to hydraulicing etc. It's Ni on impossible to overfill them, even slightly too much oil results in it pouring out a lot faster than you manage to fill it.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

Entwicklung34

Post by Entwicklung34 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:09 pm

Thanks fella's.

Horizon... once again your wisdom has made me feel much more at ease. Although I count myself as a fairly intelligent individual the thought processes of the engineers that create the parts for the cars we take for granted every day absolutely blows my mind. The more I learn about cars, the more I want to learn.

Entwicklung34

Post by Entwicklung34 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Just popping back to say all is well with the diff fluid change, seems to be running perfectly with the new fluid for the last few days. (Castrol syntrax longlife 75w-90 used).