Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Xenon Level - keep getting flashed at!!

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Phil D

Xenon Level - keep getting flashed at!!

Post by Phil D » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:46 pm

Having taken the car on a few more night journeys i'm finding people are constantly flashing their lights at me - like i've left full beam on.

I'm assuming the xenons are stock.

On my E91 the xenons used to change level when i first put them on. I haven't noticed that in the X5 - should they?
2003 E53 - 4.4i Black with Black leather, Bluetooth/Sat Nav & Factory Xenons

x5dom

Re: Xenon Level - keep getting flashed at!!

Post by x5dom » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:58 pm

When you first switch them on, yes they aim lower and then adjust themselves to the correct height. Or not as may be your case. Shame it's not MOT time as that would confirm it.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
2005/55 E53 3.0d Sport - Sterling Grey/Dakota Black - Sports Plus Pack - 168 20s - Comms Pack - and many toys!  :)

Toy: '95 VW Corrado VR6

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:57 am

Check that the beam cut-off hasn't been altered for Euro driving... if it is a flat beam then it probably has and that may be your problem, if it is dog legged and the lower part is on the drivers side then it is ok.

One night, park on a hill facing up the hill and preferrably behind another car or van (give yourself some space though). Turn your car off and then turn the key to position 2. You should be able to clearly see the headlights self-level.

If not, check the wires that go to the self level units in the back of the headlights to make sure that they are both connected. While you are there Check that they are OEM Xenon headlamps and not just HID kits in your Halogen units or Aftermarket.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:16 am

If you ascertain all parts correct & funtioning ok then a quick trip to a friendly local garge or MOT station should confirm if lights need adjusting. Its literally 2 mins to check the alignment & 5 to adjust if required.

When folk take the headlamp(s) out to change the indicator bulb(s) the lamp can go back in slightly out of alignmment - even when care taken to mark positions of fastenings before & after.............I know this from experience as I was getting flashed after I changed my front offside indicator bulb & despite marking around the fastenings before & after. In future I will always get lamp alignment checked after any work requiring headlamps out.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

phill

Post by phill » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:19 am

Also check the units that control the self leveling units, on the front it is on the drivers side front it is attached to item 10 on this link (If you stick your head under the front bumper you can see it).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=31&fg=05

From memory it is a small square box about 50mm (2 inches) long. There is a clip that holds a lever onto this wishbone, mine rusted away last year meaning that the lever was not attached to the wishbone arm, so the lights could not level because it did not know at what angle the suspension was at, it was fixed at my indy (for free, must be an easy fix).

This box apparantly tells the lights to self level to the car. I think that there is another one on the passenger side at the rear but don't know the exact location of that one.

Phill
2003 SAAB 9-3t convertible 175bhp - current
2003 X5 4.6is - Now dead

kena

Post by kena » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:34 am

[quote=""phill""]Also check the units that control the self leveling units, on the front it is on the drivers side front it is attached to item 10 on this link (If you stick your head under the front bumper you can see it).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=31&fg=05

From memory it is a small square box about 50mm (2 inches) long. There is a clip that holds a lever onto this wishbone, mine rusted away last year meaning that the lever was not attached to the wishbone arm, so the lights could not level because it did not know at what angle the suspension was at, it was fixed at my indy (for free, must be an easy fix).

This box apparantly tells the lights to self level to the car. I think that there is another one on the passenger side at the rear but don't know the exact location of that one.

Phill[/quote]

Phill,
Item 10 is a wishbone on that link :(

Ha ha ignore me, just a senior moment.
just read the post through thoroughly :oops:

Phil D

Post by Phil D » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks guys - i'll check through this stuff. Hopefully i can sort it without a trip to the garage.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:25 pm

I have found that I get flashed far more often now as the driver of a HID equipped car than as a conventional lamp user. Sometimes it's people just not liking the lights as the X5's lights are higher off the road, and on other occasions it has been becuase the front of the light has become dirty so the beam begins to scatter. If the garage finds that the aim is correct and the auto-height control appears to be working then you may have the 'Anti-Xenon' brigade on your route, but also see how clean the lights are. I'm getting flashed occasionally in the X6 too and they're fine - but the night it happened a few times, the lights were a little dirty due to cr@p on the roads not being washed off by the headlight washers. It was also drizzling so scattering the beams a bit.

Interestingly it doesn't happen as often in the E46 - but then its lights are nearly on the road... 8-)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Phil D

Post by Phil D » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:18 pm

Well i've had a look and everything seems ok, so have booked an appointment at the local BMW indie, who said he will check things out.

Interesting about the dirt scattering the light, one of the things the garage warned me is to never wipe the lens of the lights as even fine scratches will have the same effect.

Jet wash only it'll have to be!

I'll post back - car goes in next Thursday

Phil D

Post by Phil D » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Easy one in the end - just needed the level setting. He didn't even charge me, although i am due a service and MOT later this month and have booked it with him.