Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gearbox problem??

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
AlexC

Gearbox problem??

Post by AlexC » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:05 pm

Advice please - have a new (to me) 05 X5 3.0d, did a long drive today to the west country and the gearbox started downshifting on hills when under braking - seemd to be really jerking on the shift and was then holding the low gear and not changing back up . The downshift happend just as I touched the brake peddle each time - even if I didnt apply pressure just touched the peddle...

Is there a sensor in the gearbox that makes it change down on hills if the beake is applied??? The whole car was really jerking and it is usually really smooth..... sounds like a stupid question but the car and gearbox just didnt feel as it normaly does and my pax kept looking at me and complaining about my driving!!!

Any thoughts???

fenj66

Re: Gearbox problem??

Post by fenj66 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:17 pm

yes, its normal for the autobox to downshift on hills going down. especially when the brake is depressed for a bit of extra engine braking.
i think it can be over ridden by switching of the dsc button, but obviously you then loose the traction control! ;)
05 stirling grey 3.0d Auto. mods - park heater, reverse cam, aux in

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi AlexC. This is not an uncommon problem. This used to happen on my 2001 3.0d and I cured it with a gearbox soft reset. It is done like this:-

Ignition to position 2 - but don't start the engine.
Floor the accelerator pedal for 30-40 seconds.
Release the accelerator pedal, step on the brake and start the engine.
Give it a try.

Worth a try :)
x6 M50d

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Alex,

Hi - try a 'soft' gearbox reset first. Very much off memory but...

1. Ignition to position 2 (just before startup)
2. Push the accelerator pedal all the way down and count to 30-40 seconds
3. Put your foot on the brake now
4. Start the car and drive FORWARD

It's a relearn for the gearbox.

Mine does downshift on braking, especially downhill. This may help - goodluck. :thumbsup:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

AlexC

Post by AlexC » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Guys - thanks muchly for the advice, will try the reset in the morning and see how the drive to work goes!!

Any idea why it does this.....was jumping from about 2000 rpm to 4000 after the shift and I was sat there saying 'what are you doing that for!!' as if talking to the steering wheel would help!!!

Did hit 33mpg on the tank average though so the day was not wasted!!

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:38 pm

Totally normal mate .....APITA on steep downhills ...just make sure the mrs isn't applying the lippy and war paint when going downhill ;) unless she complains about your driving again that is :rofl:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

ChewingBacca

Post by ChewingBacca » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:56 pm

[quote=""x555""]Totally normal mate .....APITA on steep downhills ...just make sure the mrs isn't applying the lippy and war paint when going downhill ;) unless she complains about your driving again that is :rofl:[/quote]

LOL. :D

Nearly put me though the screen first time on the Yorkshire Moors.

AlexC

Post by AlexC » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Lol - true, straight in the boot if she complains about that!!

Did manage to piss off a lad in a kev'd up mk 2 Golf GTi by totally out dragging him up a hill - got to love that 3.0 grunt, look on his face as my bus sailed past just as the two lanes came back to one on a crawler lane was classic!

ChewingBacca

Post by ChewingBacca » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Catch the startled expression on his face when he follows you into the corners, and wrestles the wheel because he hasn't got the same level of grip. :-o

AlexC

Post by AlexC » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Too be fair it was lowered to the floor and stuck right on my arse as i over cooked it through the bend at the top of the hill just be sure i got there before him!

Shame you cant drop the self leveling suspension to access mode for high speed corners......;)

Bring on the remap..........