Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any members with the H&R lowering kit?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
X5_MSPORT

Re: Any members with the H&R lowering kit?

Post by X5_MSPORT » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:14 am

[quote="POC"]

Wow thats some serious cash!  As much as I'd love to say I'd be interested I suspect that even the second hand price will be a little north of my budget. 

Really does look good though, what did you use to lower the rear?  How much drop do you have on the front?
[/quote]

I agree its expensive, but have you ever driven a car on lowering springs? on small/medium sized car the dampers will cope better with the damping reduction due to the size and weight. Not so much with our big SUV X5/X6s. Seems if you are going with a very mild 1" drop you'll be OK but the drop is very small.

In the pic above I'm dropped close to 2.75" and the ride quality was simply awesome considering. Really soaked up the bumps and the handling was like that of a medium sized car rather than like driving a barge.

With the 22s I'm dropped way more and decided the best option for me is complete air setup.

Sit

Post by Sit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Massive post resurrection!!!!!

Been browsing about on Outpost and they seem to be massive fans of the H&R kits and I have to say the results do look quite impressive. Had a look on H&R website and it lists the kit for around $400 and specifically has an application for cars with self levelling rears.

I haven't been able to find out how this works though, does it do away with the airbag completely or is there some cunning trickery??

Concerned about comments in this thread about ride quality but then SO many U.S folks seem to fit this H&R kit can it really be that bad??

Interested to hear any thoughts and experiences 2 years on from this originally being posted.

Si
2010 X5 30d M Sport Carbon Black | Camel Leather, 20's | HUD | Shadowline | Privacy | CIC iDrive | Adaptive Drive | Pro Nav | Loudspeaker Audio | High Beam Assist | Enhanced Bluetooth | Media Pack | Bum Warmers!

Reedster

Post by Reedster » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Personal choice but I like the look on the X6 better.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:51 pm

I’m tempted and have been for some time...
I think losing the arch gap on the X5 works well, opting for the 1.2” drop to ensure it’s subtleness.
I’ll most like be doing this, ths year!

Sit

Post by Sit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:23 pm

[quote="snrbrtsn"]
I’m tempted and have been for some time...
I think losing the arch gap on the X5 works well, opting for the 1.2” drop to ensure it’s subtleness.
I’ll most like be doing this, ths year!
[/quote]

Do you know how it works with self levelling rear?? Agree I think reducing the arch gap does look better and makes it looked more ‘hunched’ on the road. I won’t ever be taking mine off road so reduction in ride height isn’t an issue from that point of view.

Have you found anyone UK based that sells the kit? I messaged H&R via FaceBook but heard nothing back.

Si
2010 X5 30d M Sport Carbon Black | Camel Leather, 20's | HUD | Shadowline | Privacy | CIC iDrive | Adaptive Drive | Pro Nav | Loudspeaker Audio | High Beam Assist | Enhanced Bluetooth | Media Pack | Bum Warmers!

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:18 pm

change out the front springs
Change out the suspension links for the rear height sensor (there is an option to lower ride height by coding)
Either option will require a 4 wheel geometry check to reduce the chances of scrubbing tyres

I have the uk supplier somewhere.....
Ps I think vogstland spring are more comfort compliant

Lowering links Ebay, uk supplier £79, though available cheaper
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X5-BMW-X5-Ful ... xyfyhRX-v-

Spring kit (front only 1.2” drop) £120
http://www.hrsuspension.direct/pages/pr ... 12661;car=

Or try mstyle.co.uk, I used to use them for many parts and pleasantly surprised.

http://www.mstyle.co.uk/bmw-x-series/x5 ... lling.html
Last edited by snrbrtsn on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.