Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E70 from E53

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Hairdye

E70 from E53

Post by Hairdye » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi
I am hopefully looking at trading in my E53 for a 59 plate E70 but need some advice if possible please.
Searching the internet and forums does help but the info is a little confusing.  Which model has the best body and cabin them sport or SE ?
Which engine is the better one 3.0 d 30d 3.0d 35d etc,  it will be a diesel I buy.
Do they all come with heated seats (my E53 didnt)
Basically I want to be able to search for a car with the best interior and gadgets if possible but appreciate a lot might be optional extras.
Any help or advice is greatly accepted.
Many thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: E70 from E53

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 pm

[quote="Hairdye"]
Hi
I am hopefully looking at trading in my E53 for a 59 plate E70 but need some advice if possible please.

Which engine is the better one 3.0 d 30d 3.0d 35d etc,  it will be a diesel I buy. they are all 3.0L and the 35d is a twin turbo, replaced by the 40d (still a twin turbo but with two dissimilar blowers, small & large).  You need to look at the engine torque and bhp to see the differences but some have much (earlier models generally) higher VED rates.  I think by 2009 they were just called xDrive30d for the single turbo version.

Do they all come with heated seats (my E53 didn't).  optional on most E70s too

Basically I want to be able to search for a car with the best interior and gadgets if possible but appreciate a lot might be optional extras.
Any help or advice is greatly accepted.
Many thanks
[/quote]
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Hairdye

Post by Hairdye » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's a nightmare trying to filter out the vehicles for spec etc.
I'll see what I can find and call back if I need more info.
Many thanks

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 pm

I also upgraded from an E53 to an E70 - going on 2 years ago now.  The drive is a world of difference, the E70 is much more refined IMO, although we still own our old 4.8is and still enjoy it........

The 40d is seen by many as the choice of engine, I think it was only available on the LCI models. Its a great performer, lots of grunt (even for someone coming from the V8) and not such a pricey maintenance beast as the M50d with its triple turbos, plus fuel consumption is better.

Check options carefully as heated seats and everything else nice were still options............write a list of must haves and check against the VIN of your chosen car very carefully.........

As to SE or M Sport, its a personal choice and some peole like to spread rubbish about SEs haveing a “better spec” which is just drivel, as all BMWs just have whatever spec their initial purchaser paid for!    My MSport has a very high spec with loads and loads of options, so that rubbishes the speculation about MSports being low spec!

The SE has quite a dated look IMO but its really down to personal taste. 

Also check wheels and tyres very carefully -should have 4 star marked tyres on BMW alloys preferably, all same brand and tyre tread depth as these cars can be a bugger with transfer box failures. 

Also consider if there is an AUC warranty or not, this can be very valuable in the long run. aftermarket warranties often very limited.

Good luck, hope you find a good one, great vehicle to drive.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Hairdye

Post by Hairdye » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:32 pm

Thank you for you reply and I have taken note of all the things you said . I do like my e53 a lot but just feel I need a new model with better extras. Colour is an issue as I like blue but these don't seem readily available although white is growing on me. Sell him off searching I will let you know if I see anything .
Many thanks