Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HPI info

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

HPI info

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 pm

I have seen several adverts for F25s that I could potentially be interested in, one is listed in the Autotrader ad as being Cat D, another doesn't mention any catagorization in the ad, but on Cazana it has 2 locked "timeline events" 2 years apart.

Cat D (or N as it is now) wouldn't unduly bother me, as long as I'm aware of exactly what I'm buying.  I've heard of vehicles being written-off with minimal damage, but because of parts supply issues the insurer didn't want to pay for long-term car hire. 

I'm not convinced that either of the sellers would be 100% honest about the reason(s) for the claim(s).  Both cars are a considerable distance away and I don't want to travel if I'm less than 90% certain I'm going to buy.  So my question is; will an HPI, or similar, check give any detail about the claims involved.

Up to now I've never bought a car that has had anything other than a 100% clear HPI.  I've tried checking online what detail will be revealed but I can't find a definitive answer to my specific question.

TIA
Stuart.
Last edited by StuBeeDoo on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Pinewood

Re: HPI info

Post by Pinewood » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:50 am

Years back we bought a Cat D bmw 318i SE. The hi check revealed it, but the dealer didn't know. Once we highlighted it, he was able to get more info and find it it had been damaged in the rear offside and subsequently repaired by the owner. 3 clean Mot's after that, no unusual tyre wear and so we bought it. Kept it for 5 years and was a good car

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

Bmwobsessed

Post by Bmwobsessed » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:54 am

Unless you’re a experienced salvage buyer or vehicle engineer you are playing with fire.  You are not going to know what you are buying and that is the brutal truth. 

When cars are categorised the damage is estimated the vehicle is not put on a jig and measured.

Photos of damage and repairs carried out don’t mean anything unless you’re 100% sure the vehicle in the photos, and the repairs are carried out in accordance with the manufacturers specifications.

Both of which cannot be quantified or verified unless you have experience in vehicle repairs.

You would be better off registering with COPART or MOTORHOG etc and then buying a Cat N or unrecorded vehicle to repair at your own expense.

Apologies for the directness or know it all tone of the post but I’m just trying to give you the pitfalls of the post repaired salvage game.

Good luck

Sam
2012 E70 X5 40d M-Sport

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:07 am

If buying damaged repaired I woiluld want before and after pics of damage / repairs and ro secure car at a price in my favour to reduce risk of negative 1 financial impact if I sold later. Buyer audience will be limited come resale so I would want to source for fair price or avoid unless deal was right.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

RichM50d

Post by RichM50d » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:49 am

On the subject of HPI checks, does anyone know the cheapest place to do one, or if there are any dicount codes/ forum discounts anywhere?

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks for the replies.  I contacted the seller of the Cat.D car and he seemed honest enough.  He said the car had been vandalised;- scratches all over and a badly dented wing.  So, basically, it's been fully resprayed.  Even though it's £4.5k below "book", one of my favoured colours, and low mileage, I won't be buying it.  I've never had good experiences of resprays..........

The other car has had 2 keepers, rather than the "one" that the advert states, and it's had a reg. transfer.  Obviously the transfer is nothing to get hung-up about.  They've had the car for sale for over a year but they won't drop the price.  That's what's bothering me - why hasn't it sold before now?  It doesn't seem over-priced.  Having said that, I'll give it another couple of months or so and if it's still there I'll drop-in and make him a cash offer.
Last edited by StuBeeDoo on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Vehicle Smart App is good for mileage, Mot  and HPI type data.

FOr non app checks hpi try rac. as it's cheaper and has same number of info fields

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:22 pm

An overpriced car sold by trade & long time in stock usually an SOR or their personal vehicle always for sale on off chance someone pays over the odds.

Allegedly......Some Traders who have all stock sat there unsold for ages and overpriced may have other business interests behind the scenes &/or might not be fussed re turnover times.