Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Speed limit to be cut to 20mph in central London

General off-topic chat.
gs223

Speed limit to be cut to 20mph in central London

Post by gs223 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:41 pm

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transpo ... 94621.html

I am pretty dubious about this; a previous similar exercise lead to precisely the opposite of the desired outcome: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/1 ... il-admits/

Speed cameras, box junctions, traffic wardens, give me a break; and on the observed lunacy of some cyclists, scooterists, and motorbikers, no action whatsoever.  :(

P.S. This will be coming to your area soon, wherever you live, mark my words...
Last edited by gs223 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X3 2004 3.0i SE

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Speed limit to be cut to 20mph in central London

Post by X5Sport » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:31 am

Does the traffic - other than courier bikes/motorcycles - ever get to go at 20mph?  I’m not convinced that large areas of these blanket low limits actually work and are counter-productive.  Perhaps this is another step towards banning vehicles (except maybe electric buses) altogether?

It’s going to be like Surrey’s former (is it still in place?) of a blanket 40mph on all rural roads.  A massive waste of time and money (making all the road signs) and rarely enforced or necessary.

We have 20mph zones all around us and they are universally ignored.  Even in the 30-zones I regularly get tailgated and coerced into going faster - which I ignore - or get overtaken by someone who just has to be at the next junction three seconds earlier.  I noticed that all of our satnavs with speed limit data have errors and show 30mph in one direction, 40mph in the other on the same stretch of road!  It’s never been other than a 30.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:07 am

As x5sport says nobody takes any notice of the 20mph zones.
I live on one as we have a school just down the road.
We have the speed humps as well but some of the idiots i think they are trying to get air over them.

gs223

Post by gs223 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:37 am

Indeed as X5Sport says, in a very clearly signposted 20mph zone I have been aggressively tailgated and flashed to speed up by clearly visually-challenged morons. However, these days an attempt to point out the rules might result in bonkers road rage, stabbing, acid attack and God knows what :(
X3 2004 3.0i SE

gs223

Post by gs223 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:44 am

On the actual achieved vs average speed point above, during the night the roads are generally pretty clear and speeds in excess of 20mph and below 30/40mph are entirely safe and reasonable on the broader carriageways. The RAC did point this out and proposed that the limit be raised at these times, but this has not been accepted as far as I can see. The outcome is now simply providing easy pickings for speed cams at those times.
X3 2004 3.0i SE