Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The dreaded error message

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
StuBeeDoo

The dreaded error message

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:20 pm

Twice in the last 2 weeks I've had the "drivetrain malfunction" error message. Both times it was while moving in slow town traffic, roughly 3 miles from a cold start. Both times the message has lied when it said "performance is reduced". Over roughly 400 miles in between the two instances, the car hasn't run any differently to how it normally does. :roll:

It's MOT day tomorrow, and I had already asked my man to change the brake fluid and the fuel filter while he's got the car. When I get there, I'll ask him to run a diagnostic as well.

I'll update tomorrow.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Re: The dreaded error message

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Mot passed, brake fluid & fuel filter changed. 2 stored codes, one;- EGR "mechanical failure near open position", the other;- EGR "mechanical failure near closed position".

I'm going to be doing an oil & filter change (and the air and pollen filters) in the next few days, so I'll whip the EGR off and give it a blast with some dedicated cleaner while I'm at it. Then if I get the error again, I'll have to bite-the-bullet and replace the EGR.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

marti

Re: The dreaded error message

Post by marti » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Good to hear it passed the MOT and an easy fix.... :thumbsup: