Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windows Down???

All X3 (G01) discussions go here.
Stinky

Windows Down???

Post by Stinky » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:03 pm

I moved my Feb 2018 BMW X3 G01 this morning and out of habit I always lock the vehicle using the touch pad on the door handle...I was doing some jobs and left the key pouch up on a shelf in the garage. About 3-4 hours later I passed the vehicle and ALL 4 windows were down and everything unlocked. The keys were still on the shelf 25 yds away and never moved or even touched??? This is the first time this has happened but a real security flaw...thankfully it wasn't raining. Has this happened any other owner of a G01 X3??

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Windows Down???

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:45 pm

This normally only happens if you keep the unlock button pressed (opens all windows and unlocks the car) or the ‘lock’ button pressed which does the opposite. It’s standard on BMWs, and other makes too. All of my Škodas have done it too.

It’s called ‘Comfort Opening / Closing’ in the manuals.

How the button stayed pressed would be the thing to look at, or do you have a spare key? Could the way the key was sat in the pouch have inadvertently kept the unlock button pressed? It’s the most likely cause, but that’s not to say the only one. A fault condition may exist.

I keep my keys in a BMW cover and then keep that inside a RFID screen pouch which not only prevents this type of incident, but also stops would be tea leaf’s from pulling the trick to scan your key in order to unlock and steal the car. Anyone with convenience opening needs to use a pouch of this type - and/or keep their keys both well away from any house doors/windows and in a metal tin.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Stinky

Re: Windows Down???

Post by Stinky » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi X5Sport....Thank you for sharing your thoughts/ideas...I'll keep an eye out for it going forward.