Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake bother..

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Themoog2

Brake bother..

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Having shimmed the rear brake pads as they were loose in the calipers I've now had to do the front..
I dont know why they have suddenly started to click buy upon inspection the pads move up and down at least 1-2mm.
I suppose I should buy new pads but there is loads of material left on them but if anyone has any suggestions for a higher friction pad then speak up.
Anyway, now I've shimmed the fronts so hopefully they will shut up..
Attachments
IMG_20201031_153238.jpg
IMG_20201031_153238.jpg (153.78 KiB) Viewed 2161 times

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Brake bother..

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:33 pm

Mine all move the same way - they’re supposed to - but there’s no audible ‘click’ when I use the brakes. Mine has Pagid fitted all round, with copper ease behind the pad and at the pad/calliper rubbing area. It looks as if you have something similar on you car.

It’s almost as if the piston is over-retracting and all I can think of for that is slightly loose wheel bearings but on all four and suddenly - that doesn’t make sense. :scratchhead:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:50 pm

Make sure the caliper mounting bolts and guide bolts are tight to start with and then jack up a wheel at a time and apply brake and see if it is releasing again as sticking calipers are common and a giveaway is one wheel blacker with brake dust than the rest , I've put 2 calipers on in the last year due to sticking. Also rotate the wheel to see if there are any tight spots or indeed any bits of rust scale on the edge of the disk catching as it spins or if the disk is warped which is again common.
Never seen pads need shimmed and they really should wear in a way to become loose and the anti rattle clip is there for that reason , is it pressing on the pad ok ? plus the prongs on the inner pad go into the piston too so it shouldn't rattle and it seems a bit of a bodge and I doubt the mot man will be impressed either if spotted :o

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:09 pm

Bodge! Cheeky git.. I’m an engineer don’t you know.. And anyway- I know the mot man.. but that’s not why you called...
All I’ve done is essentially made the pad metal ‘ears’ a bit longer. Agreed - in theory the calliper should hold the pads firm but as they are considerably shorter that the space in the callipers then there must be some movement when the brakes are applied as there is some serious rotational force. I’ve had this before on a Vauxhall vectra gsi (remember those) and new pads stopped the noise.
The spring clip is ok and seated correctly.
Anyway I’ve done a test drive and it all quiet now.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:33 pm

That's fair enough :rofl: no offence intended :D I do remember the Gsi from when I was a Vauxhall fan and they were stilll good , my brother actually bought a brand new Gsi bumper for his Vectra , not cheap ! and I had 2 calibra's and an sri cavalier , those were the days ! :driving:

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:20 am

So what about pads then? Now that we are under house arrest again (does anyone actually believe all this tripe anymore) I have a few spare hours.
Ive noticed EBC pads but they seem a tad expensive.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:01 pm

I've never had to shim any pads in any application so it is strange. I currently use Brembo all round on the X5 and Ferodo on the 3er and Textar on the GTI (but will most likely change them at some point).

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:05 am

I've been eying up youtube vids where some have done Porsche 996 brembo caliper conversions on E46's. It must be possible on an E53.. I have a Range rover sport with brembo on it so I may do some measuring.
Or maybe I'm just thinking out loud. My brakes work fine and don't click anymore..

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:35 am

Tbf anything is possible. You just need some custom adapters for the calipers most likely.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:47 am

The brakes do not click anymore but the last two times I have stopped then reversed to my right in the car park space there has been an almighty clunk from under the front n/s half way around the turn.. It feels like something is wound up then released if you see what I mean.
Something else to look at now

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:26 am

Themoog2 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:47 am The brakes do not click anymore but the last two times I have stopped then reversed to my right in the car park space there has been an almighty clunk from under the front n/s half way around the turn.. It feels like something is wound up then released if you see what I mean.
Something else to look at now
It's always one thing after another.

Hmmm, spring maybe or control arm, hard to say though without hearing it/seeing it.