Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MOT failure - 2x split cv boot. Possible Axle damage?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
cooa99

MOT failure - 2x split cv boot. Possible Axle damage?

Post by cooa99 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:33 am

HI all,
Just taken my 2005 E53 3.0D for MOT and it has failed due to the split in the cv boot on both sides.

I have also noticed a slight knocking sound in the last 2 months from the front which may be coming from the driver side though not fully sure. This sometimes happen when the front wheel comes of a slightly raised pavement e.g driving off my drive un to the road. I can't get it to repeatedly make the noise but it's there.

Is the noise likely a damage to the axle itself hence needing replacement?
Do I need to change both sides or there is a way of narrowing down to which side with the issue?

Regarding the parts , where is the best place to source them?

.. Also I take it this is easy work fro a capable mechanic?, looks like my local indy has now closed down.

Thanks

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: MOT failure - 2x split cv boot. Possible Axle damage?

Post by Leslie » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:12 pm

If the grease has leaked out and the joint ran dry then yes the cv joints may be damaged but its more likely to be a worn suspension arm that knocks when it hits a bump at the right angle to cause movement and a knpck. :D

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:17 pm

Leslie wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:12 pm If the grease has leaked out and the joint ran dry then yes the cv joints may be damaged but its more likely to be a worn suspension arm that knocks when it hits a bump at the right angle to cause movement and a knpck. :D

ok, so I should just change the cv boots for now and tell the mechanic to check for knocking sounds while the legs are up in the air?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:28 am

Checking while in the air is good.
I had a bit of a wheel wobble but it could be felt on a left hand bend.
Can passed the mot no problem but on further investigation we found a bottom joint that was the worst i had ever seen and i was a tester for many years.
It didn't even show on the shaker plates on the mot ramp.
In the air and double check everything as with the weight of them i think you can miss something easily.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:20 am

The best way to check for a worn CV joint is to drive the car to an empty car park and drive it on full lock both ways. If it's worn you will get loads of clicking. If the joint is OK just change the boot and re grease.

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:45 am

I just had a look at my previous MOT history and it looks like both CV boots failed and were changed back in 2011, 66k miles ago. I take it that's a reasonable timespan for another failure?

Plan now is to buy 2 new boots from ecp, take back to a local garage for fitment and get them to check the bits you guys have mentioned again so nothing is left out.

edit : Also what are the consensus on using split cv boots as replacement?. Just saw a video of this on YouTube and I was thinking maybe I could do that saving me the trip to the mechanic?

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:22 am

What a great idea. Hadn't heard of split boots before. Certainly worth a try assuming the cv joints are OK.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:37 am

Split boot's will fall off.
Seen people get one fail go home put a split one on and come back for retest and it's come off by the time they got back to the garage.

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:53 am

Shame about the split boot ........ it could have been a cheap solution.

I found another indy slightly further away, so have booked the car in for next week to get the job done. I told them they should also check for the sound.

Slightly off topic, The last time I was properly under the car, I tried without success to remove splash shield / engine tray. The bolts won't come out, they just kept spinning. Is this by design and there is a way of getting them off?

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:39 am

The engine shield bolts have nuts on the back so you need two spanners. The front plastic guard, some bolts are screwed into the chassis bar and the others have those threaded clip things.
As for split cv boots - I fitted some on mine and they lasted over two years. You just have to make sure the glued edges are totally clean. I did a test glue afterwards with an off cut from the boot and when stretched it wasn't the join that came apart but the rubber snapped.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:54 am

If you loosened the splash shield bolts they also hold the anti roll bar bushes if memory serves, have you had any rattle's or clonks ?? :D

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:01 pm

I have used those glue together on an old Car without problem although they were on the driveshaft where there wasn’t as much movement. Not sure I’d use them on the steered wheel end of a driveshaft

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:25 pm

Greydog wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:54 am If you loosened the splash shield bolts they also hold the anti roll bar bushes if memory serves, have you had any rattle's or clonks ?? :D
I tried removing in the summer so hopefully not related to the noise