Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coil over suspension

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Rick G

Coil over suspension

Post by Rick G » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:44 am

I blew a left air bag on the rear suspension on Tuesday and had to drive about 70km home and that is when it bought home to me just how vulnerable the bags are. It looked like a sharp small stone got wedged abs chaffed the bag. I had no plans for the Christmas break so only having the motorcycle for transport is OK and managed to source a second hand bag from Brisbane.
I got to thinking about coil over setup and found that it installs over the shockie of course but the vehicle weight is then taken on the top mount for the shockie and not where the air bag fits.
Has anyone had experience with the coil over setup and what are the thoughts on the load being taken in a place that was not designed to take it. I tow a caravan in winter and often do thousands of kms on each trip. I would like to get rid of the air bag suspension but all I can find is the coil over setup and I don't feel comfortable with it because of the different load bearing situation.
What I would like to get is a coil spring with a "PolyAir" inside the coil and still use the compressed air setup to auto adjust the height when the caravan is attached.
Anybody got some thoughts on it or know if there is such a thing because I don't really want to reinvent the wheel.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coil over suspension

Post by X5Sport » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:56 am

Ping Raj a PM. If I remember correctly he did a full conversion on his 4.8 a few years back, there might even be a thread on here about it. :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:58 pm

I’m sure there’s pics on here somewhere definitely Richard :thumbsup:

So it does depend on the coilovers you go with as the likes of KW V3’s the rear spring along with perch do actually occupy the space where the airbag goes so it maintains a similar setup to OE. I think BC are more like what you refer to.

You could of course go with something like Bilsteins B12 kit which use Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs in a normal conventional setup with again the spring houses where the airbag sits.

Rick G

Post by Rick G » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:47 pm

Thanks Raj I'll have a search and do my homework. I'll have plenty of time as I have some shoulder joint replacement surgery coming up very soon and from experience with the other side it will take a while before I am back on deck.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:41 am

Hi Rick,
I have had both shoulder joints replaced, as well as both knees, and rods in my spine, all were first class jobs, hope your 2nd op goes well,
all the best.

Lez

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:47 am

Rick G wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:47 pm Thanks Raj I'll have a search and do my homework. I'll have plenty of time as I have some shoulder joint replacement surgery coming up very soon and from experience with the other side it will take a while before I am back on deck.
No problem at all. Hope the surgery goes well and if you need anymore help just ask :thumbsup: