Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transmission Problems

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Transmission Problems

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:39 pm

Does the E83 have a DPF? I can’t remember which year that particular evil started to be fitted…. :x If it does, then yes you probably need all 6 working to allow for regeneration to occur.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat May 01, 2021 12:03 am

henrym3 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:16 pmAlthough you say the lack of glow plugs shouldn’t matter to much in this weather, I thought they were used on a regular basis for regeneration. Not clued up so just curious.
I was given similar info when I bought my 330d, nearly 10 years ago now. Only, what I was told was that they're not just for cold starts and DPF regen but they are also used anytime between engine cold and not far short of normal running temperature. Something to do with both emissions and fuel economy.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 01, 2021 1:46 pm

Well well, every day is still a school day it seems….you guys are absolutely right and I’ve learned something. It’s what I love about this forum. The plugs are used as below, extracted from something I found on line from the official manual…for those that don’t know DDE = Digital Diesel Electronics (aka Engine ECU).

<<Start

Function
The glowplug control unit communicates with the DDE control unit via the bit serial data interface.

The required heating output is determined by the DDE control unit on the basis of the following operational parameters:
+ Coolant temperature
+ Vehicle voltage

Two other operational parameters determine the point at which glowplug function is activated and deactivated:

+ Engine speed
+ Injection volume

The DDE control unit transmits the heating request to the glowplug control unit via the bit serial data interface. The glowplug control unit puts the request into effect by activating the glowplugs by means of a pulse-width modulated signal. In addition, the glowplug control unit sends diagnostic and status information back to the DDE control unit.

Preheating
At coolant temperatures below 25°C, there is a preheating period of 0.5 seconds. The preheating period increases as the temperature falls, reaching a maximum of 2.7 seconds at a coolant temperature of less than -25°C.
Activation of the glowplug system on the instrument cluster only occurs at coolant temperatures below 0°C.

After-heating
At coolant temperatures below 30°C, there is a temperature-dependent after-heating period to improve idling and exhaust emission characteristics.

Start preheating
Start preheating takes place for approx. 10 seconds if after the preheating time has elapsed the engine is not started and the ignition remain on.

<<Ends

Supercooper04

Post by Supercooper04 » Sat May 08, 2021 4:38 pm

I removed and stripped down the Servo unit today, The black plastic gear had the teeth stripped off, I've replaced its and put it back on. although it was a bit better is still shuddering when accelerating. not sure what to do know TBH. I cant afford the rebuild costs of the Transfer case. Although I can do the swop myself so that keeps the labour cost down

Supercooper04

Transmission Problems

Post by Supercooper04 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:03 pm

I replaced the oil reset the case and the problem is solved.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Transmission Problems

Post by X5Sport » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:58 pm

Great news. Well done and thanks for letting us know. Many don’t and just leave everyone wondering. :thumbsup: