Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fit an electric engine cooling fan

How-To articles ONLY go here.
lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:25 pm

I have a 2002 4.4 E53 X5, fitted with lpg.
Has anyone fitted an electric fan to replace the viscous engine cooling fan ?
I am contemplating doing this mod as it may save a bit on fuel.

Lez

IanP

Post by IanP » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:37 pm

Not on my X5, but I did do the same on an Isuzu trooper for wading deep water and found I rarely needed it on.
Obviously the X is a lot of power in a small space but you might be surprised how little it runs if you are moving.
Being a cheap skate I only fitted an on/off switch to stop it working in deep water, it would have been safer with a thermo static switch

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:24 pm

I fitted an electric fan to my LPG'd E30. When it blew its head gasket after traversing Hardknott and Wrynose passes, on what wasn't even a hot day, as part of the gasket replacement job I refitted the viscous fan and binned the electric one.

Just my experience, I'm not suggesting it will happen to you.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:54 pm

I have an electric fan fitted, been on for about 4 years. I went the cheap route and fitted the fan from an e46, not sure which model, got it from the breakers for £15. Fits well on the radiator with its own shroud and I fitted a dual temperature sensor into the top hose that switches at 93/99c. The only time I hear it running is about 20 seconds after I switch off it cycles on and off about 3 times. I even shorted out the 99c switch to confirm it was working cos I’d never heard it running. So the fan doesn’t really get much use hopefully that equals long life. The sensor choice was because I also fitted an 88c thermostat and the vehicle tends to run between 91/93c

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:42 am

I fitted a complete electric fan and shroud from a 2006 4.4 £60 from Quarry Motors (i believe they were fitted on most face lift models) get a V8 version and the shroud is the same shape/mounting as the one on your car so fitting is simple. I brought one with the power input connector attached I fitted a 80 deg control sensor in the top hose and power through a fused relay direct from the under bonnet power/charging point. The AUC sensor mounting is in the wrong place so you will need to extend the harness for the AUC sensor. Job done, and has worked fine for the last 5 years.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:47 am

Thankyou for your helpful replies, will have to see if i can locate suggested fans.

Lez