Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre advice

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
Cliveost

Tyre advice

Post by Cliveost » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:12 am

Hi I’m after some advice on tyres for my x1 23d x drive. My car runs 225-45 r 18 on the front and 255-40 r 18 on the rear. Currently have Pirelli all round. I have replaced them all in the last 12 months. When I serviced the car at the weekend I noticed the rears are nearly on the wear markers. I have done around 12000 miles on them. They have worn perfectly square and have no tracking issues. This doesn’t seem particularly good mileage for tyres that were £250 each fitted. I don’t drive particularly hard. The fronts are still like new!

Does this seem normal in your experience?

Is there any issue with replacing the rears with a different brand?

I have been looking at Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental etc. Is there any I should avoid?

I am sticking with the run flats and am not interested in the non run flats argument. Cost is not a major issue but would like to get more than 12 months out of them if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre advice

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:32 pm

General thinking and advice is all matching treads with minimal tread depth differences. Depends on the model now but iirc 3mm maximum on the same axle and between front and rear axles. BMW may have advanced X drive but its twitchy and will cause financial grief if its not happy. Basically the transfer box will fail, in the extreme.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre advice

Post by Leslie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:23 pm

12k sounds not far off for a set of tyres these days just surprised the fronts are still like new on an x drive did you replace them all at the same time or a good bit apart despite all being in the last 12 months ?

Cliveost

Tyre advice

Post by Cliveost » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:02 pm

Thanks for the replies. I replaced the fronts probably 3 months after the rears. If 12000 is ok then so be it. I will buy Pirelli again for the rear just to be safe. I got 40000 out of a set of continentals on my Mercedes so thought 12000 wasn’t a lot.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre advice

Post by Leslie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:45 pm

It's not great but it seems common enough , that was impressive in the merc but a lot of it is down to driving style and the more power you have the less tyres tend to last :driving: Performance tyres tend to not be that long lasting as compromises have to be made to get the grip :D
By comparison the rears on my x5 e70 lasted 15k but the fronts were worn bald on the outer edges by not much more than 5k (underinflation as I used the recommended pressure for runflats on ordinary tyres which was far too low :headbang: )

Cliveost

Tyre advice

Post by Cliveost » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:13 am

I don’t drive particularly hard and have more power/torque than in my Mercedes. I just thought a premium tyre should last more than 12 months. I guess I will be having new rear tyres every year!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre advice

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:30 am

In a conversation with Camskill (wholesalers) i queried the apparent fast wearing of Continental SSRs on my X6.

To my surprise and dismay i was told they're only designed for 10k miles. Sobering and expensive.

They're a harder riding tyre but I'll revert to Bridgestone Duellers when appropriate.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tyre advice

Post by X5Sport » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:41 pm

I’ve got Conti’s on mine too (and the E46) so a 10k wear life is not good news given a set costs the thick end of £900. The OEM fitted Dunlop’s weren’t much better though. Back to Bridgestone then… :cry:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.