Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing The Side Indicator Repeaters

Discuss the problems with your X6 (E71).
Markyrsfocus

Post by Markyrsfocus » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:00 am

Has anyone successfully removed the side repeaters in the wings without the clip on the back pinging into the wing well?

I noticed that both of my repeaters had water droplets in them so decided to try and dry them.

Wrong decision.

Did a bit of a search and found that you push them backwards until the front can pop out.

Tried this, but it would pop out at the front, so tried pulling on the back.

Then it went ping, the unit came out, but the clip went in!

I didn't do the second in case there is a clever way to do it without losing the clip.

Any help on putting it back would be appreciated, they are not cheap!

Thanks

Mark

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:28 pm

From memory on my E53, your method is correct, push backwards and the front releases.

Lifting from the rear will likely ping the spring clip off :( I'd think you'll have to replace it now or perhaps apply some thin double sided to the inner edges if possible.

** More thoughts.

More work but perhaps remove the wheel and un-clip the liner, perhaps you'll find the clip :thumbsup:
Last edited by sapphireblack on Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:31 pm

All that I can find suggests inserting a credit card (or similar) from the rear of the repeater - flush with the wing - and push forward in such a way the front swings out. Makes no mention of putting them back in, but I read it as make sure the rear is engaged first and then insert the front until it locks back in?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Markyrsfocus

Post by Markyrsfocus » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:41 pm

Thanks for that.

I just picked up the replacements from my BMW Dealer, and whilst I was there, I got them to ask a techie how they remove them, and they just said slide them backwards until they won't go any further, and pull them out.

This won't work, as the metal clip sits behind the back face of the wing, and you cannot pull the front out, as that is where the wiring plug is situated.

On the first one, it pinged off, on the second, the clip just bent backwards, and came out with the unit. My assumption is that as this is a not serviceable item, it is designed to fail when it is removed.

Putting them back was a cinch. Just clip on the plug, make sure that they work first, and just place the front into the slot, then push the back into place.

The clip just squashes slightly, and then springs back into place behind the back face of the wing.

On the first one, the top of the lens was no longer sealed, on the second, the whole lens pulled off as I tried to get it out!

That explains why they had water in them.

Mark

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:53 pm

Oh well, if they needed replacement anyway, a worthwhile job.

Curious what they cost?

Markyrsfocus

Post by Markyrsfocus » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:44 pm

They came in at £86.98 for the pair.

Mark

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:20 pm

I was polishing the car one day and bumped one with my hand , heard the dreaded ping into the wing too :headbang: These are every brittle and certainly not designed to removed after a few years as the plastic becomes brittle ,even if you could get the clip back the place it sits into had broken off ,had to buy a new one in the end of Bmw. Mine looked mint and didn't need replacement before :rofl:

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:27 pm

Leslie wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:20 pmI was polishing the car one day and bumped one with my hand , heard the dreaded ping into the wing too :headbang: These are every brittle and certainly not designed to removed after a few years as the plastic becomes brittle ,even if you could get the clip back the place it sits into had broken off ,had to buy a new one in the end of Bmw. Mine looked mint and didn't need replacement before :rofl:
I had the same with my E46.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:20 am

Markyrsfocus wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:44 pm They came in at £86.98 for the pair.

Mark
Ouch :(

Markyrsfocus

Post by Markyrsfocus » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:52 am

Yep, so I will definitely be careful when I am polishing anywhere near them!

Mark

Markyrsfocus

Post by Markyrsfocus » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:29 pm

As a postscript to this thread, I got my Car back yesterday, having had one of the lenses changed three times by BMW under Warranty!

The first two had as much moisture in them as the original faulty one after the first rain on the car, and the latest change was because there was a crack along the bottom of the lens!

I actually had a chance to speak to the Technician who changed the lens on one occasion, and hre told me that he had a trim tool, that actually pulled the metal clip back so that the whole unit pulls out rearwards first!

What made me laugh was I told him that I wasn't impressed with it failing so quickly, and he said that whoever had fitted it had pressed it in too hard!

Fingers crossed, I won't have to go back again!

Mark