Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension dropped

MikeD01

Suspension dropped

Post by MikeD01 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:50 am

I have a 2015 F15 X5 X Drive 50 i Day before yesterday, I drove the car for about 1hr and put it in the garage. Yesterday morning I discovered that the left side of the car had droped. First I though it was the rear air bag. Then on looking further it looked like both front and back was down, not just the back. I started the car thing the compressor would pump up the airbag but nothing happened. Then I took the car for a short drive around 5 min and back to the garage. When I got back the car had returned to its normal height. I left it overnight and this morning it is still at its normal height. It is a real mystery given the front seemed to be down as well as the back. I have been doing a bit of research and it it seems that the air bag can have a slow leak that seals itself depending on the fold of the bag and then can open up. However, it doesn't explain the front being down as well. I can find nothing anywhere on the front issue. I did think that because the rear was right down it had dragged the front down but the front was well down. Really need help to solve this one.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Suspension doped

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:23 am

:hi:

Give both bags a spray with soapy water, and check the connections from the compressor the same way. Set it to maximum height or jack the body up to stretch the bags out. Any sign of bubbles and you have a leak. Otherwise it could be the ride height sensors, although I would expect that to drop either one axle or both, rather than just one side. There’s one on each axle and they connect via a crank arm between the body and axle. It’s not unknown for them to stop working properly.

…..not being carrying an elephant in the passenger seat by any chance…. :P :P
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

MikeD01

Suspension dropped

Post by MikeD01 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:37 pm

Hi Thanks for coming back to me. It was only one side. Both front and back. I have airbags on the rear but appears struts and coil springs on the front. That being the case was wondering if the fact that the left rear was all the way down, whether it was enough to pull the same side front down to look as if the front had droped as well.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Suspension dropped

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:21 am

As said spray the bag and pipe.
A sensor failed on mine not long ago easy to change plus not expensive.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Suspension dropped

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:31 pm

When the rear dropped the front would have a lot more weight to cope with yes, I thought they only usually have rear air suspension. The rear sensors do fail or can give odd readings confusing the system. There will be a front sensor too though on passenger side do the car can work out if its level or not.