Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Saying goodbye to my 2004 E53

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
ScottBarton

Post by ScottBarton » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:13 pm

Sadly, due to an absolute twonk reversing into her whilst I was parked up at Heathrow a few weeks ago, my insurance company has written off my much loved and reliable 2004 E53.
Had two repair quotes, both in excess of £3.5k... and the insurance company has valued her at £2850. :-(
I have had the offer of a buy back, but weighing up the trade in value which is next to nothing, and WBAC valuation of £1300, it's time to let her go. She also had a few little gremlins creeping in - auto gear box was feeling a bit notchy on acceleration, sun roof doesn't tilt anymore due to something broken, the windscreen wipers only work full on rather than rain sensing, and the radio intermittently turns itself on and off.

Ironically I had already started to look at a newer version, with my sights set on an M50D... so this will just advance my plans a little.

Had some great times in my 7 years of ownership, multiple camping trips with my sons, countless fishing trips with my Dad, and many many family days out. In 7 years, my only failure was a dud Alternator, other than that she he been so reliable after 167,000 miles - I bought her at 127,000 so we have had a good run!
Its farewell for now... but I will be back in something newer.. and a lot more advanced soon.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:49 pm

I’m afraid that most e 53’s are in this position now. Quite sad really. However an M50D is sure to cheer you up.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:27 am

Same happened to my 2002 e53.
Mine was only a rear door so bought it back and got a door in the same colour for £70 i think with glass and bit's still in so not a big job and looks the same as it did.
So it's a Cat ? whatever it's still runs and drives sweet at 180k will do for me.
MOT next saturday ?????????????.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:38 pm

Depending on damage as said could be an easy repair with second hand panels In the correct colour, insurance have to buy new so the cost to repair is silly but if you were already looking a replacement it's time for a change. :thumbsup: