Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ooo transmission..

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Themoog2

Ooo transmission..

Post by Themoog2 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:02 pm

Don't know. I've got a 200 mile run in it to do next weekend so I'll see what average mpg I can get.

Wayfarer

Ooo transmission..

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:29 am

Probably as above, the colder weather always has an impact on my diesel x5, about 2 to 4 mpg, don’t know what fuel grade you use but also be the impact of ethanol in petrol going from e5 to e10?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ooo transmission..

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:48 am

Did you find out from them what the bits of metal were actually from in the end?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Themoog2

Ooo transmission..

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:10 pm

Yes. One of the drums (?) and the clutch plates were all worn. I had a long chat with the owner of the place. His words about mine were ‘there was quite a lot broken in it’..
Interestingly, there was an Audi R8 V10 on the ramp that some guy had bought and paid just shy of 80k for a month earlier. The transmission had a hole in the side of it where the clutch basket had exploded. The guy didn’t return it to the dealer so obviously was doing something he shouldn’t have. Instead he got another trans and this garage was putting it all back together for him at a cost of 14k.
Another ramp had a Porsche 928 GTS - remember those? I nearly bought one once.. Range Rovers and Fords all over the place too. Apparently a lot of vehicles were there due to owners not having them serviced at the correct interval or place so thus voiding the warranty. I find it absolutely fascinating.
As for mine, on the odd occasion there is a harshness again circa 15-2k rpm. Doesn’t do it when revved in neutral or park, only when driving. The only things left are the driveshaft centre bearing and the guibo joints. When it gets a bit warmer those will be on my to do list.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ooo transmission..

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Gear drum makes sense and that’s certainly what it looked as being the source. Once metal chunks that big start appearing then something pretty major is going on within. My X6 is in on the 20th for a full driveline service. Only done 53k but at 11 years old it’s probably past time to be done. It does annoy me that car makers can just not bother in spite of the gearbox manufacturer saying it’s needed. The warranties all seem to run out at just the right time…… :P :wink:

The Audi was probably being ragged, got too hot and raised a strong objection. Audi have started using the ZF 8-sp in certain models rather than their own system. A1’s car park is full of busted DSG equipped VAG cars.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Themoog2

Ooo transmission..

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:15 pm

Apparently the gearbox in those Audis and many other vehicles using it is a serious weak point when the engine power is ramped up. A friend of mine has an Audi sq5 v6 diesel with a mapped rolling road output of 760lb ft of torque.. He mentioned that he is going to get the trans electronically modified- whatever that does - but I think that’s when you may as well say bye bye to it.