Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Good morning guys and gals I’ve looked at a very tidy BMW X5 e53

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Thegolfking

Post by Thegolfking » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:19 am

Morning guys and gals have just looked at a tidy
BMW X5 e53 s 2006 model sat nav tv
Electric leather very good condition interior
3 owners from new few bumper scuffs
Drives beautiful smooth gear changes
No rust not even underneath
Not much history though
155000 miles there wanting £2200 is that a reasonable
Price
Kind regards
Gerry

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:00 am

Doesn’t sound unreasonable. Horrendous when you think mine cost £53k brand new in 2005!!

If you can get the last 7 characters of the VIN (or the whole VIN) you can use on-line VIN decoders and get the ‘as built’ spec.

Things to watch for are tyres - it really should have BMW Approved tyres (with a ‘*’ mark on the sidewall) and no more than 2mm tread difference between any one tyre and the rest, wrong tyres can and have expensively damaged transmissions. Many owners are going cheap as the car ages and they don’t want a £1k bill for tyres. You don’t need runflats on the E53. Cheap tyres are a no-no on xDrive cars.

You’ve said it feels fine to drive. When test driving it, note any hesitation in gear changes, ‘lurching’ when coming to a stop, grumbling or rumbling from the transmission. All are signs of transmission issues. A gearbox rebuild will cost about £2k so beware. If there is a jerkiness at walking pace on full lock, that indicates diff problems (expensive).

Check the area below the boot floor for signs of water leaks. A lot of key electronic modules are down there (as is the battery).

Check everything works as advertised. The TV should also work with digital services (Freeview). Bluetooth should be there but may not pair with the latest phones as it uses V1.1 and we’re now in V5. This can be a bit hit or miss with what functions actually work. Music streaming won’t - that came on the later E70 versions.

If it’s a diesel then it should have a Webasto Aux heater on the near side front wing. That should be working as the air temps are below 5C. Repairs can be expensive and PCB failure is sadly common.

If it has a sun-roof, check both sections work. Both should tilt and the front should retract. Failures were well known in the rear section due to a white-metal casting snapping. Repair means a new roof cassette. You can fix the rear down though (there are threads in here about how to.)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Thegolfking

Post by Thegolfking » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:09 pm

Webasto has a remote and works so that’s handy
Many thanks I deal slot with webasto heaters I sell complete kits for pool heating hot tubs garages etc etc
https://youtu.be/Y9zx70Eeccs

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:51 pm

A lot of car for little money but will probably be 600 quid to tax it which will come as a shock :D

Thegolfking

Post by Thegolfking » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:26 pm

No £335
Wife’s Range Rover vogue nearly £700

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:36 am

Handy the tax as a lot around that time where in the higher band.
Enjoy your car i love my toy to bits lol.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:05 pm

Thegolfking wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:26 pm No £335
Wife’s Range Rover vogue nearly £700
Suprised at that even the early e70 gets nailed with 600 quid now till they got the updated engines but it could be early 2006 so just scrape in before they changed the bands possibly in march 2006 :D