Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alternator replacement - Write up / you info

Discuss anything to do with the BMW X1 (F48). Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
everson

Post by everson » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:22 pm

Hey guys, got a 2015 X1 2.0 diesel. I may have an issue where th my alternator. (need to do some more checks) but as some premptive reading, I am seeing if anyone has a procedure write or can tell me any BMW that runs the same engine for an alternator replacement?

Thanks in advance.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:51 pm

What makes you think it's the alternator? Faults with those is pretty rare in modern BMWs, it's usually a dying battery, or the battery has been changed without the systems being taught there's a new battery on the car.

If you're seeing a steady 13.8 to 14.4V DC at the jump start point with the engine running at fast idle there's not much wrong with the alternator.

BMW Tech Instructions are here: https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/#/login - it's a subscription service. Occasionally they appear for free but that's pot luck sadly. BMW are very quick to take down sites with the details.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:24 pm

You don't say how many miles it's covered but I have just put an alternator in our petrol focus at 53k ! ,but it's doing all stop / go very short ( 2 mile) journeys so is always flat out charging , car is 11 years old now and age plays a part too :D They often make a whining noise too when they are kaput :rofl:

everson

Post by everson » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:20 pm

X5Sport wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:51 pm What makes you think it's the alternator? Faults with those is pretty rare in modern BMWs, it's usually a dying battery, or the battery has been changed without the systems being taught there's a new battery on the car.

If you're seeing a steady 13.8 to 14.4V DC at the jump start point with the engine running at fast idle there's not much wrong with the alternator.

BMW Tech Instructions are here: https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/#/login - it's a subscription service. Occasionally they appear for free but that's pot luck sadly. BMW are very quick to take down sites with the details.
Nothing specifically that it's the alternator other than I being part of the charging system and is something to look at, I plan to get out with it at the weekend but was just looking to do some preparation reading.