Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M50i

kenniff

M50i

Post by kenniff » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:35 pm

As a previous X5 owner (35d, 30d, M50d) I’m now considering a G05 M50i, so would appreciate any feedback from existing owners. Dont see anything when i search the site?

I’m coming from a RRS HST which i loved, but so did the thieves. :x
You can’t order a new RRS as the model is being updated in April. You can put down a deposit on a new version but won’t see it for a year….

I’ve seen an X5 M50i advertised (new but cancelled customer order) that has Tech plus pack, visibility pack , Comfort plus pack and is on 22 inch wheels. Only thing its missing for me is a tow bar.

All thoughts welcome

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

M50i

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:21 pm

I don’t remember anyone here having one. The nearest you might get is someone like pvr with his X5M, but not sure whether it’s a late ‘F’ or early ‘G’ series. It’s just going out of warranty so may be a bit old for comparison?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kenniff

M50i

Post by kenniff » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:44 pm

Yes, I’m amazed how few posts there are in the G0 section.

My main concern is what the ride is like, as i believe thie 50i doesn’t have air suspension as standard. I’m not bothered, but the family like a soft cushioned ride.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

M50i

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:54 pm

We have to avoid air suspension as my wife suffers from car sickness and air suspension triggers it very quickly, especially on rear springs. I opted not to have it in the X6 because if that, and we chose not to go down the i4 M50 this year for the same reason.

Traffic on the Forum has dropped a lot in the last 2-3 years so I’ve no idea where everyone’s gone. It’s not as if owners aren’t about, but maybe the newer models are so much harder to mod, or diy etc no one tries. :(

kenniff

M50i

Post by kenniff » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:45 pm

Well I’ve gone and done it.

Insurers paid out today on my stolen RRS and I’ve put down a deposit on a new X5 M50i in Arctic grey.
Lots of bells and whistles, Extended merino leather, Visibility pack, Comfort plus pack, Tech Plus pack. Pano sunroof, 22 inch jet black double spoke alloys, high gloss shadow line with extended contents

Delivery expected this month (March).

Coming with tracker and getting immobiliser fitted as well….. hope this one stays around!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

M50i

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:25 pm

Congrats :D

You could buy a Stoplock Pro Elite as well. I know it’s 1980’s tech but today they are highly recommended as it takes at least 5 mins to drill them, or cutting the steering wheel is needed. Surprisingly effective. Ugly, simple, but they work.

Keep your keys in a Faraday key pouch (or all-metal biscuit tin) to stop ‘relay attack’ starting the car if Comfort Access is included.

kenniff

M50i

Post by kenniff » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:51 pm

I have the faraday pouches from the last car…. So have asked dealer about turning off comfort access.

I also have a stop lock pro elite, but its only of use if you actually have it on the car when the thieves come for it. :?

I hired a RR a couple of weeks ago and it had been stolen according to the guy that dropped it off. It had a steering lock on but they just cut a hole in the steering wheel! The car had a new wheel :) since they recovered it. It also now had an immobiliser with keypad, tracker, and sleeper tracker fitted in the hope that would all stop it happening again… What i really need to do is move house to somewhere i can get the car off the road and behind a bollard / in a garage.

kenniff

M50i

Post by kenniff » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:38 pm

My new M50i arriving to the dealer on Monday 14th March. They need to fit the tracker and get it ready, but expecting to take delivery middle to late next week. Hoping I like it - haven’t driven one or even sat in one, though i did have 2 F15s and an E70.

Have gone for ivory interior (stock car so didnt have a choice if I wanted it) so hope I can keep it clean!

kenniff

M50i

Post by kenniff » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:13 am

Still waiting for new car…… Dealer got it last Monday, but seem incapable of arranging a tracker fitting…. Now being fitted NEXT Monday….. Grrr.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

M50i

Post by X5Sport » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:30 pm

A lot of people are finding that Dealers are taking their time and even that BMW have no idea where the car actually is! It’s not even as if they are being rushed of their feet with new cars is it!

Got told yesterday that if I wanted an i4 the lead time is at least 12 months. Can’t even get a built slot for or order an M340d as it’s at end of production now. New version not able to be ordered yet. Only got three and a bit months before the current lease ends.

kenniff

M50i

Post by kenniff » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:50 pm

A similar issue to yours - cant order “old” version RRS cant get a new one for over a year… is what brought me back to BMW. There was still a delay in ordering a new BMW, but I was able to find an order in progress that suited me. What do you think you’ll end up buying then?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

M50i

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:37 pm

No idea at present. Still want an M340d Touring and having two other non-lease, little used cars we can wait.

Saw on one of the Forums today that people with cars on order with BMW are having the order cancelled because they can’t be built. Others are being told the order will roll-over to the new LCI. No idea about other manufacturers, but BMW themselves are getting slated for how they are handling the situation. Dealers just don’t seem to know what is really happening and what to tell customers.

kenniff

M50i

Post by kenniff » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:01 pm

Good that you can wait to replace.
As for BMW’s X5 facelift, , I was hoping my new car would be the “current” model on the road until at least the end of the year :cry: :chophead: :|
I got a revised order form from the Dealer today and it said wireless charging option deleted on it (for no extra charge!). I called the Dealer and they checked the actual car (its sitting in their garage) and it does have the wireless charging. Seems that BMW can’t currently get the wireless charging bits so aren’t offering them in current builds. Creation of a new order for my car had inadvertently pulled down that info.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

M50i

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:27 pm

Wireless charging has been ‘missing’ from a number of models for almost a year - chip issues - with a steady migration of option availability moving up the range. We started at the 320D Touring but found the only way to get the options we wanted was to go to the M340d (a big shift in price - and it must be said performance) only to find even that model lost key options and led to my cancelling the order at Xmas. At one point the touchscreens were removed and a £500 ‘goodwill’ offer made. Considering it was a key part of the iDrive it didn’t land well. Touchscreens are back, but now the ‘touchpad’ on the iDrive controller is absent and there’s no option to retrofit.

A lot of comment on the forums is that BMW’s design for wireless charging actually causes a risk of overheating - not a good thing with Lithium technology batteries!

kenniff

M50i

Post by kenniff » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:15 pm

It’s here!
Attachments
73946A58-AF88-4CF7-B25A-85BCC3DDABA6.jpeg
73946A58-AF88-4CF7-B25A-85BCC3DDABA6.jpeg (233.82 KiB) Viewed 10209 times