Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

VED going up by rate of inflation

General car related chat
Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:40 pm

Nice that now inflation is high , means a 2007 e70 will cost a whopping £615 to tax for a year up from 585! ,these early cars get absolutely hammered with tax, my 2009 will be near half that :o

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:19 pm

Any new car costing over £40k MRP) adds another £335 per year for 5 years on top. £40k doesn’t buy a lot of car these days and the limit has been in place for several years so as new car costs rise, so more will get caught out.

Zero emission cars escape however HMG is now looking at toll roads again as it realises the shift to EV means less VED income.

I’d be less annoyed if the money paid actually improved the condition of the roads and wasn’t being wasted on these killer Smart Motorways that are anything but safer.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:39 am

X5Sport wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:19 pmI’d be less annoyed if the money paid actually improved the condition of the roads and wasn’t being wasted on these killer Smart Motorways that are anything but safer.
Me too. TBH, I can't remember what VED I paid last year although £250 rings a bell. A fiver a week can't be bad for a car that the climate do-gooders consider anti-social. Mind, it usually only gets used 4 days a week...........
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:59 am

The good thing about the extra charge for being over 40k new is it only lasts 5 years in reality I think it's till year 6 before it's cheaper and then it's £155 a year like all other non electric cars..The x5 in point I mentioned say an 2007 when compared to say an 07 320d which costs 20 quid to tax yes 30 times as much is outrageous and the reality is the 320d was say for business use and clocking maybe 30k a year. I suppose we have a choice what we buy buy you are paying the same as a fleet of 320ds :headbang:
Ev are going to pay and pay a lot too once they become the main mode of transport as you say that massive drop in ved and fuel will have to be clawed back. There will be a few cheap years now till more are registered but its coming.
I guess road tolls will be difficult to apply to ice cars but as numbers drop it will sort itself out :fuelfire:
Ved has been losing money for many years as too many cars were paying a token 20 quid that's why they went back to £155 for most like it was pre 2001.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:24 pm

VED should be based on road usage as we all know. Right now fuel is ridiculously expensive but thats where VED/tax should be applied, use the highways more = you pay more. The same duty/tax, for indiscriminate use of the same vehicles by different owners makes no sense.

Ironically i went electric only yesterday for when i'm abroad. Albeit this is Greece where rules as we know them either don't exist or don't apply.

60 miles range, domestic socket charging, three speed, no tax, no MOT, no insurance, don't even need a skid lid, though i'll buy the latter two for my own sake.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:08 pm

That looks like fun. I still miss my bike. Not allowed to ride anymore after my neck surgery. Range a little better than yours, can’t use an electric socket though. Is electric quick, or just steady? No ‘ludicrous’ mode like a Tesla, but way more fun :D
D59CE60E-5EBC-4223-AE40-2DCD4F48EB05.jpeg
D59CE60E-5EBC-4223-AE40-2DCD4F48EB05.jpeg (146.16 KiB) Viewed 591 times
It’s a Honda VFR800 V4 VTEC that I had 20 years ago. Stopped riding in 2004.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:11 pm

Hmm, only a marginal difference between those two machines :D

Friend has secured it for me and says acceleration is fierce. It's only for bar visits and possibly commuting into town. No facilities on it for luggage, I'll need to look at possible additions. It's only seven months old but but vinyl seats and hot sunshine aren't hugely compatible. I'm paying 600€, no idea if that's vfm but I'm confident it will be fun.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:32 pm

Just the thing for getting about and cheap too :driving: I stopping riding a bike about 2007 had a Honda vfr 400 for years, fantastic little bike but one too many close calls felt my luck was running out.