Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pan roof problem

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
X3nut

Pan roof problem

Post by X3nut » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:38 am

Finally booked in to get the roof wrap replaced on the 4th Nov so will get some pics up when it's done, it's starting to get a bit worse now and looks very tatty. I'm deciding whether to get the M sport skirts wrapped in carbon to match the front splitter but not sure yet, I don't want it to look "over the top". Going to remove them and clean them up a bit.

Also booked in at the paint shop to get some scuffs, scratches and blemishes sorted out but that's not until March as they're so busy.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Pan roof problem

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:55 am

That’s a long wait. Perhaps owners are choosing to fix things now given how long the wait for new cars is and that must be affecting the supply of used cars maybe?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Jayx5

Pan roof problem

Post by Jayx5 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Does anyone have problems opening the pan roof if it hasn't been opened for a while? mine seems a bit jammed and needs a push to help it, I'm to scared to force it to much :( once opened is there anything that can be done to lube it up ?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Pan roof problem

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:29 pm

Silicone lube spray, grease or similar should be fine for that. If you can get to the mechanics then a squirt on those too would help. Ceramic grease is another option for the gears and sliders.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Jayx5

Pan roof problem

Post by Jayx5 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:18 pm

I'll give it a go :thumbsup:

X3nut

Pan roof problem

Post by X3nut » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:49 pm

Not been on for a while but just a heads up it turns out it isn't a wrap on the roof as the chap who was going to do it couldn't remove it. He said it just kept chipping as he tried, even heating it up wouldn't shift it so I did some digging and I can only conclude that it must be plastidip or something similar. Not sure what to do with it TBH so might ask when it goes in if it can be painted over.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Pan roof problem

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 pm

Intriguing outcome.

I have little wrapping experience but if well bonded it can be a bugger to remove, if its coming off in tiny splinters it sounds like vinyl material to me. I think plastidip type products are easily removed.

I certainly wouldn't let anyone paint over it.

Gcguru

Pan roof problem

Post by Gcguru » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:10 pm

Well, the 2 panoramic sunroof portions are standard bmw glass, same as on every other e70.. not sure why some are saying its painted?

Appears someone used a chemical such as paint thinner to rub off the typical mold or sap that builds up over time (mine does anyway) and destroyed the paint in the process. Simple base coat/clearcoat respray with a bit of sanding prep. If they are good, they can carefully blend into the D pillars and it should look nearly new again. Make sure to pick up a sunroof perimeter seal and tear the old one out so the body shop doesn't get sloppy and try to tape it off. The glass drops down when opening so it exposes seal to remove it. Remove roof rail caps entirely beforehand also for same reason, afterwards reinstall with black body adhesive at all threaded holes to keep water out...they are usually leaking straight from the factory anyhow...you absolutely must heat and remove the gps aerial via wire method before paint (new oem seal and body sealant after reinstall also). If aerial is removed any time after respray for repair (its full of electronics) you risk pulling new paint at tape lines ...