Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rumbling when driving

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Nightsman33

Rumbling when driving

Post by Nightsman33 » Sun May 01, 2022 5:14 pm

Hi guys
.iv noticed when driving its not very smooth i can feel like a grumbling type feel through the floor. Its not very bad but can feel it there.
Mine is on 151k mileage full service history.
Any ideas please guys.
Many thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rumbling when driving

Post by X5Sport » Sun May 01, 2022 6:16 pm

Initial thought could be tyres. Have you got more than 2mm difference between any tread depth? Any sign of jerkiness on full lock at walking pace? All 4 tyres same make & version? Tyre pressures correct?

Could also be brakes dragging a bit, tired rear prop-shaft centre bearing, one of the diffs or transfer box. When were the fluids last changed? Should be done every 8 years or 50k miles, whichever comes first. Could be a wheel bearing, does it change with speed?

If it is a dragging brake, you may find one wheel is warmer than the rest. You may also get vibration on the steering wheel.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Rumbling when driving

Post by henrym3 » Sun May 01, 2022 6:55 pm

Perhaps an engine/gearbox mount, check now much the engine tilts forward/backwards and side to side as someone switches between forward and reverse. If you can put your hand on the mount it can reveal a vibration you can’t see and give a difference each side

Nightsman33

Rumbling when driving

Post by Nightsman33 » Sun May 01, 2022 7:30 pm

Tyres are new. I cant find any history of ot having a gearbox service so thats next thing to do for me. Will also get the wheel bearings done just to eliminate that and check the engine mountains.
It dont get worse by driving at higher speeds it stays the same.
Thanks for the help guys i havnt had it long im just wanting to get it all sorted iv done fair bit of work to it already.

marti

Rumbling when driving

Post by marti » Mon May 02, 2022 11:05 am

Had this on my sprinter van and it was a front caliper sticky......but not enough to make it pull to one side.....was like it about six months until it finally started to stick properly and you could notice it pull and the centre of the wheel was rather hot.....

Nightsman33

Rumbling when driving

Post by Nightsman33 » Mon May 02, 2022 1:20 pm

marti wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:05 am Had this on my sprinter van and it was a front caliper sticky......but not enough to make it pull to one side.....was like it about six months until it finally started to stick properly and you could notice it pull and the centre of the wheel was rather hot.....
Thanks mate il have a look at that slthough i checked them when i done bushes etc on the front recently and them seemed nice and free