Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Downhill gear change

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Nightsman33

Downhill gear change

Post by Nightsman33 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:24 pm

Isit just mine or is this a thing with these E53 automatics

When driving downhill and i touch the brake its like iv put it into second gear from 5th if that makes sense to you guys. So engine is screaming. I do need a gearbox service so i been told on precious posts but is this normal for these to do.
Thanks guys.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Downhill gear change

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri May 20, 2022 5:42 am

Mine does it but not as bad as yours sounds.
One gear i would say mine drops i think will have to take more notice next time i go down a hill.
Engine braking they call it.

Greydog

Downhill gear change

Post by Greydog » Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 am

I thought this only happened at around 20mph or lower, very useful when a you have a trailer with two fat horses inside attached to the back of the car.
At 20 or below it happens automatically in my 4.6is can't say I have noticed it much in normal driving but definitely when off road or moving slowly when towing

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Downhill gear change

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 20, 2022 9:24 am

It should happen in any gear if you lightly trail the brakes for a few seconds. All of our automatic BMWs have done it. If you want to hold a speed whilst going downhill just lightly keep the brakes on until the box changes. It shouldn’t drop that low but it might drop one, possibly two gear sets. Touching the accelerator again cancels it.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Greydog

Downhill gear change

Post by Greydog » Fri May 20, 2022 4:49 pm

Every day is a learning day, still I have only had the car 16 years, but now damn it I will be looking for places to try it out :driving: Wonder if the horse fancies a trip to the beach :lol:

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Downhill gear change

Post by henrym3 » Fri May 20, 2022 8:56 pm

My 4.6 will drop a gear as the speed bleeds away or I lightly touch the brakes but hardly noticeable, didn’t really notice any difference when towing.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Downhill gear change

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat May 21, 2022 6:19 am

Go for the box service and ask them while you are there.

Greydog

Downhill gear change

Post by Greydog » Sat May 21, 2022 7:17 am

Well tried a few hills around Storrington and it only changed when I trailed the brake. So I thought "not steep enough" so couple of miles to Bury Hill and yes around 50 mph foot off the throttle and as soon as the speed started to rise it made such a smooth down change the rev counter was the give away. Most off road work is in the winter wandering around the Downs or Grouse moor when out shooting so speed is rarely much above walking pace and that is where I have noticed it most.
162k the box I have given 2 services 1st a flush then filter and fluid when I got the car 2nd when the engine was rebuilt and apparently it's still working like it should whoop whoop

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Downhill gear change

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 21, 2022 12:55 pm

I remember going down Bury Hill many a time in my company Maestro and when I accelerated at the bottom the world behind vanished in a cloud of blue oil smoke. Gotta love those A-series engines! I lived in Crawley at the time.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Greydog

Downhill gear change

Post by Greydog » Sat May 21, 2022 3:25 pm

A Meastro A series or O series blowing blue smoke on the over-run was a design feature to let you know there was still oil in there :D