Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Drivers window

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Drivers window

Post by henrym3 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:04 pm

1C7D728F-9387-4565-9CD3-1488B0D6DEB9.png
1C7D728F-9387-4565-9CD3-1488B0D6DEB9.png (160.92 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Problem, when fully down the window seems to tilt down at the back a few mm and won’t come back up. Motor is fine. If door card removed you can tilt the window by hand a few mm and up it comes. What part of the diagram above needs replaced or is it the whole mechanism

Greydog

Drivers window

Post by Greydog » Wed May 25, 2022 12:26 pm

The passenger window started doing that and a spray in the runners with silicon lube cured it

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Drivers window

Post by henrym3 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:27 pm

I’ve tried that.

Greydog

Drivers window

Post by Greydog » Thu May 26, 2022 7:54 am

I was afraid you would say that
Just thinking out loud here. All the glass holding clips and guides in place and not worn/broken or the bottom glass support channel out of kilter

When my passenger window started sticking the symptoms were the window would initially go down OK but sometimes stick/slow right down coming up, drop the window a little and it would come up. As the passenger side window is rarely used it was one of those "I will look at it later jobs" then I dropped the window to talk to someone and it wouldn't come up. Door card off and if I put my hand under the back of the glass and gave it some help the window came up OK. I lubed the guides and moving parts and touch wood every thing worked I did all four windows as a precaution (just been out and checked again just in case)
Looking at the drawing it looks like it is a unit replacement rather than individual parts, difficult to say until its on the bench.

Themoog2

Drivers window

Post by Themoog2 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:34 am

Last Friday the glass disappeared into my passenger door due to my daughter slamming it all the time with the window lowered. Took it all apart to find that the silly little clips that attach the glass to the regulator had pulled through the holes. Poor design in my opinion so I used longer bolts and a nut and washer on the back of the glass so they won't come out again. When I was doing the repair I remembered that I had also done the same thing to the drivers door years ago so it must be a common thing.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Drivers window

Post by henrym3 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:11 pm

I have now sorted the window. Item 7 above was the culprit I suspect exactly the same problem as Themoog2. There are 2 of those clips on each mechanism so I checked the price with BMW and was surprised that they were only just over £1 so I thought I’d get 4 and replace both and 2 spare for if another window goes. No such luck. Can only buy in pack of 10, but I bought them anyway so if anyone needs one just let me know and promise to drop a couple of guid in your favourite charity box. As you say Themoog2 a pretty poor design for expanding the plastic bit so it doesn’t fall through the hole in the window glass.