Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Not an ‘X’ but is an Xdrive

Non BMW X-Series related discussion
Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat May 14, 2022 6:02 pm

Not the news you wanted to hear and I'm sure Bmw were delighted to get your old car back as they don't seem to be able to deliver many new ones :headbang:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 14, 2022 7:26 pm

They sold it in under a fortnight too. Mind you they then found an issue that cost them a small fortune to fix.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:43 pm

Just been told our order will be delayed to Q4 2023 at the earliest, could even be Q1 2024. This is just madness now.

On top of that the price has gone up £2k - and they forgot to tell me that too!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:56 pm

Should have kept the returned car, with hindsight?

I'm never in the market for anything new, but whatever the compound reasons for these delays, you have committed (prematurely?) to electric. Time to consider other options, used too!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:25 pm

All options are on the table including used. We were offered a lot for the hand-back and never wanted to keep it long term. Electric for us is realistically our only choice with the fuel bill passed £300/month. The 2-er would be about £200/month ish.

Will be talking person-person probably at the weekend. If we come down spec wise to the e40 version that is easier to get. Lots more available with much shorter lead times. Might even look elsewhere at other brands. If their demo comes up I’d even consider that…at the right price of course.

Not making any sudden moves just yet and it’s possible the dates will improve now the Chinese lockdowns have finished. Delivery issues are just as bad on ICE too. The used market is also beginning to drop rapidly as the cost of living also climbs. The market started ‘correcting’ at the beginning of the month and will have another one in Sept.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:46 pm

I have no news either, continuing to use the Jeep for now, bit more friendly on the fuel compared to the M :(

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:16 pm

BMW have offered us a £2k discount - effectively we escape the latest price increase - as an apology. We’ve had a long think and will keep the order for now. Their allocation is 3-4 per quarter and they’re trying to get more. At least 16 other new owners are in the same boat as us just at this dealership. Demand globally is far outstripping supply. In the US where price controls don’t exist (dealers are their own private business and can charge what they like) it is becoming common to seek an extra $20k over list or you walk away!

Trying to find out where my order is in the queue as that will give an indication of waiting times.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:23 pm

I checked today on mine as well, looks like a potential slot end of August.

Looks like I still don’t need to rush to install my charge point which I haven’t got around to yet.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:03 pm

I didn’t need an EHIC when ours was done. The only checks were for correct bonding at the water main, gas main and all the house water/heating pipes were bonded together and the main earth fed back to the fuse board. They did an earth continuity test first but no more was needed because the EV circuit is completely separated from the house circuits with its own tails from the meter.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:05 pm

Still no change in status but now know that we are inside the Top 10 for the queue with our Dealer.

BMW issued a warning today that a number of models will now be adversely affected by the ongoing Russia/Ukraine mess and China lockdowns. All modern semiconductor production needs Xenon and Neon for the lasers used to create the component layout on the 30cm silicon wafers. 70% of those gases came from Ukraine - largely from Mariupol (now a wasteland) and Odesa (being bombed & shelled) so things are unlikely to improve until new cryogenic distillation plants open.

BMW seem to have yet again massively underestimated demand and can’t keep up. I remember the same thing happening with the E71. It wasn’t expected to sell more than a few thousand but as we know sold extremely well in certain markets, is now in its third iteration and being copied by both Merc & Audi.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Gone for a slight colour change………we’ll if you’re going for an M-Performance model is best do go bold :D Delivery now estimated as Oct ‘23 but depends upon the Russia/Ukraine mess and China’s ongoing Covid Lockdowns.
CBAE6A53-ADC1-405D-BDF5-1B13451A22D2.jpeg
CBAE6A53-ADC1-405D-BDF5-1B13451A22D2.jpeg (87.32 KiB) Viewed 48952 times
81934F16-E54B-40AB-80FF-400BEABA698C.jpeg
81934F16-E54B-40AB-80FF-400BEABA698C.jpeg (54.01 KiB) Viewed 48952 times
…..and a real one…..
0D1BCF6D-E246-4AA5-B81F-60B1E53025B4.jpeg
0D1BCF6D-E246-4AA5-B81F-60B1E53025B4.jpeg (190.03 KiB) Viewed 48952 times

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:01 pm

Looks nice, though not my colour taste, but setting aside the woes created by warmongers, is any BMW (or other vehicle) really worth that wait. I'd be looking at alternatives long since. Each to their own of course, and it is probably an age related response in a way but i'd have bailed long ago.

Just clicked back to page one. You started this thread a year ago yet are still unsure of when you'll see this new vehicle :o You've certainly more patience than I posess.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:30 pm

The colour is a bit loud I agree, but everyone seems to be going for grey, red, blue or white so we wanted to be different!

I guess the answer about waiting is: not really. But as we would really like to go EV and we both have a hankering to go ‘M’ or as near as we can get for now) then the answer is yes. I am due to retire in less than 5 years and a £90k M4 is waaaaaaayyyyy out of reach - never mind its running costs in petrol, tyres & maintenance - this will have to be our chance. We’ve also spent more than £2k on EV infrastructure here in anticipation of delivery being Oct ‘22 - a date that vanished just a month later once Pootin went all ‘macho’.

BMW have announced a ‘true’ electric M car but that’s at concept stage for now. It’s based on the current M4 and has 4 electric motors. No one knows the likely price or availability (2026 or later is the best bet). Would I like one? Yes. Can I afford or justify one? No! By 2030 I’ll be past caring anyway.

Other BEV manufacturers are themselves getting longer and longer lead times and used BEVs are a bit of an unknown as it’s much harder to assess battery life remaining (a new battery is seriously expensive!) because you need to know how it was used, how it was charged, how often it was fast charged (shortens the battery life) and so on. With an ICE car most of us can work out from age/mileage how much ‘life’ remains. That kind of knowledge is still too fresh for armchair experts to have gleaned enough. I’m not as confident with anything EV as I am after 40 years of driving ICE power.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:21 pm

Just had a call from the Dealer. Car now scheduled for production next week, with January ‘23 for delivery. Whilst I’m pleased, I’m also very wary as other new owners have had their dates changed up to a dozen times and there are those who ordered in June 2021 who still don’t have a build slot (ours is a March ‘22). There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when anyone’s car is being built. It may well be that we get bumped as well. HRH really wants a ‘72-plate’ as it’s her year of birth. We may end up with a 23-plate though.

At least we’re now scheduled for production and that protects the price.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:33 pm

Good news for that :thumbsup:

Still no news on mine, order date 9 September 2021