Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wipers

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
ttr

Wipers

Post by ttr » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:10 pm

Eh up all

Been a while since I posted but still here :thumbsup:

X5 went through another MOT no issues :driving: result

However since I’ve had it some 4 years now, I initially swapped out my front wipers to flat areo ones. In doing so I’ve had 3-4 sets just because each one did not properly wipe a mid section of the drivers side windscreen :thumbsdown: This was picked up a couple of times at mot but just swapped blades and it passed then after a few days same again.

Anyway in case anyone else has had this frustration I found a thread that got my interest, it claimed that the little plastic bracket on the drivers side arm if left on hindered the flat wiper and resulted in it missing this section of the screen- mmm 🤔 i !!!!!

Well 8u!!$r me, took it of and it wipes perfectly :D

I hope this helps someone else - if everybody knows anyway hey ho I’m last in the que again

Still love the X5 and aim to keep it a while yet so no doubt now it will go wrong and I’m back posting for help from everyone :roll:

Cheers all

StuBeeDoo

Wipers

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:31 pm

I seem to remember there was a similar issue with flat blades on the E46.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Wipers

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:57 am

Due new blades on my e53 will look at the flat ones but not sure on the bit to remove.

StuBeeDoo

Wipers

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:26 am

About half-way down the driver's side arm, there's an additional plastic clip that locates on the bottom of the normal blade. It has to be taken off the arm if you're using flat blades.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Wipers

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:48 am

Thanks for that.

ttr

Wipers

Post by ttr » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:01 am

Alan,

Flats are great IMO (especially if you remove the little plastic clip) :rofl: !!!!!

Stubeedoo

Clip just eases off carefully- I’ve kept mine just in case and popped a little black silicone tube over the metal tang on the wiper just in case and it keeps it neat

Hope this had helped some folks

:thumbsup: