Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iDrive map updates?

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

iDrive map updates?

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:46 pm

This is just curiosity, but how often do you update your map files?

When I bought my F25 in mid-'18 the maps were still the 2012.2 ones that I presume it came with, as it was built in October '12. Within a few weeks I had updated them to 2018.2.
A couple of times recently I've been on roads that don't exist, according to 2018.2, so I've just updated again to 2022. It seems that map updates for my car are now only issued once a year.

These days I don't often go to places I don't know so I actually don't use the nav. that often, but we are going on holiday to Cornwall next month and it's somewhere I haven't been for 15 years or more. If we start going places again, like we used to a few years ago (Wor Lass doesn't like to be too far from home - on a regular basis - at the moment, in case something happens to one or other of her parents), I might try to get in the habit of updating the nav. every other year, or so.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

iDrive map updates?

Post by X5Sport » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:08 pm

The current generation of vehicles get 4 updates per year via cellular links - so called ‘over the air or OTA’. Those of us with older generation cars seem to only get one update per year. My 2018 2-series had the OTA system but it was terribly unreliable and I doubt that I saw 4/yr due to unexplained ‘issues’. Even the car’s software gets it the same way, and that’s just as unreliable.

A USB download just seems to work :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

marti

iDrive map updates?

Post by marti » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:36 pm

Get mine from a chap in France, sends the USB over.... :D