Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coding software

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Coding software

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:26 pm

I've tried searching the forum but can't find much, if anything, in the way of an answer to this query. :(

I want to get a few items of coding done to my F25. I've been trying to find someone (either business or private) locally who could/would do it for me, without success. There was a lad I found who reconfigured the ASS for me, but he seems to have disappeared.

So, I'm looking at doing it myself. Bearing in mind I'm looking at laptop-based hardware (USB - OBD cable) and software, what do you chaps recommend? The likes of Carly (I think that's what it's called) aren't an option because my available tech. doesn't include a smartphone.

TIA
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Coding software

Post by X5Sport » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:05 pm

INPA/ISTA (it’s what dealers use) or Bimmercode would probably be your options. The former is one with a bit of a learning curve and sometimes translation from German. I’ve never used Bimmercode.

Carly can also run on a tablet if you have that option available.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Coding software

Post by jaynana » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:44 pm

ISTA is for diagnosis, resetting services, flashing new modules, etc.

For F series ‘coding’ (I.e, changing how your car behaves) you need ESYS.

If you’re close to Buckinghamshire and you know what you need to change I could probably help (I have the kit but I’m familiar with only my model)

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Coding software

Post by jaynana » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:49 pm

Should have added, I believe Carly can do all this too, but it’s 3rd party product (risk?) plus the app is on a subscription model (recurring cost)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Coding software

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:50 am

I used Carly paid the £60 i think did what i wanted and cancelled the subscription.
I still had it for the year and glad i did as i thought of things weeks later that i wanted to do so could still use it.

StuBeeDoo

Coding software

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:25 pm

I've got a spare, working, laptop with the right amount of free space, RAM, OS, etc, etc, so I think I'm going to go for this
It's going to duplicate the BMW portion of what I have on my iCarSoft, but as that unit will still be used on our Citroens I'm not bothered.

I've found a company, locally, that claims to do "all BMW coding" and have been quoted £75/hour. The dude said that to do all the items I want done will probably take longer than that, and TBH he didn't really seem interested in doing it.

If anyone is interested, here's what I want to achieve:-
Disable front foglights as cornering lights (am I the only person in the world who thinks it looks "cheap"?)
Enable alarm "chirp"
Default transmission in sport mode
Disable headlights "sweeping" with steering input
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)