Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alternator

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Alternator

Post by henrym3 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:34 pm

Recently fixed the 3 faults, window/coolant leak/ mirror. So another year of trouble free motering due. This morning started up, moved off. ABS/TRANSFAILSAFE/ BATTERY/ENGINE WARNING. Went to gear 5. Had been running fine. Radio switched off. After initial panic I noticed that my battery voltage reader was showing 17v. Got a spare alternator of my son who couldn’t remember why he changed it. I know stupid but I fitted it. Works fine except the battery warning light is on, charging voltage is good at idle and at revs. Any ideas. In the meantime I’ve sent for a regulator for mine. Bosch £28. To be fair it wasn’t difficult to remove just time consuming, draining coolant, removing rad, I have the regulator out hoping to find some burn/heat marks but no, looks fine. We will see.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Alternator

Post by henrym3 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:37 pm

Just to follow this up, fitted a new regulator and refitted the old alternator. All is good.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Alternator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:38 pm

Excellent - apart from the faff of getting to it.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

lezmtaylor

Alternator

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:05 am

I'm not being funny,but would have changed the bearings as well, not a difficult job with the alternator out.

Lez

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Alternator

Post by henrym3 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:37 pm

To late now Lez. I will probably change them on the other alternator when I put a new rectifier in but that won’t be an/y time soon.