Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Factory sound system.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Factory sound system.

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:32 pm

As previously posted I'm reacquainting myself with my E71 again after a six months absence.

I spent a while (too long really) yesterday on iTunes uploading music from my CD collection and buying a few albums I once owned on cassette or vinyl from the store. It's good to hear the like of Deja-Vu by CS&N again, I was a very much younger man when I was introduced to their music, I added some Jethro Tull and some ZZ Top to my pretty comprehensive collection of Pink Floyd, Leonard Cohen and numerous others of that genre. My music taste has been constant for over fifty years now.

I had a new custom iPod built earlier this year, sounds grande but isn't. This allows mobile and residential playback, of a reasonable choice of 839 tracks, very convenient 😃

Anyway, to the point, my car has a DSP system and that's all I've ever experienced with a BMW. How good the HK system and others are I don't know. My point is the DSP system is pretty damned good for my taste in music, which I've been enjoying today, my neighbour less so.

A boring little post to many I suspect 😎
Last edited by sapphireblack on Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Factory sound system.

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:34 pm

One of the things that many folks forget is that there is only so much that can be done with a car. It’s going to be noisy unless the engine is off and it’s stationary! There’s always going to have to be compromises unless you’re going to spend (IMHO) obscene amounts of money on creating a sound stage in an automobile. It’s a car and is designed as a mode of transport, not a concert hall!

Oh, and if you have Logic 7 DSP in yours then that’s made by Harman-Becker, aka Harman International, the manufacturer of Harman-Kardon. It’s strapped to a Lexicon Sound Processor core (the DSP processor) unit.

In recent years it’s been badged accordingly and more openly.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Factory sound system.

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:45 pm

Learn something every day. There's no reference to Logic DSP I have ever seen, only the latter DSP within the i-drive menus.

Regardless, I like the sound it produces :thumbsup:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Factory sound system.

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:36 pm

I just looked up the build spec to see S677A, HiFi system Professional DSP, so not the Logic DSP you mention.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Factory sound system.

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:54 am

S677A and S678A (update of the former) are both HK systems.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Factory sound system.

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:03 am

Oh really! Well I suppose thats nice to know, come the day I'm to old to drive it'll be another marketing tool.

I often wonder how you got to know so much. I'm doing that right now 😄

StuBeeDoo

Factory sound system.

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:04 am

X5Sport wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:34 pmIt’s a car and is designed as a mode of transport, not a concert hall!
From memory, the last time I had anything other than factory-fit audio in any of my cars was my E30 - back in the '90s.
As long as it produces the music I expect it to I'm not bothered about it sounding like the performers are in the car playing for me. ..........And, in any case, if anyone is in the car with me I don't have it on.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Factory sound system.

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:31 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:03 am I often wonder how you got to know so much. I'm doing that right now 😄
Google is your friend - I was curious too as I’d read somewhere that Logic 7 (BMWs DSP system fitted to the E71 and others) was an HK system under all the logos and labels. Nerd or Geek…..I’ll let you folks decide :D

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Factory sound system.

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:46 pm

Well I used my friend Google and was interested and pleased to read what I have. I have always known the previous/first owner threw some serious cash at the car, i wasn't aware the audio was so good on paper as it is to my ears. It's nice to know it was premium hifi in the day.