Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lambda (02) Sensor

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
VapeLife

Lambda (02) Sensor

Post by VapeLife » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:51 pm

I am in need of some of your wisdom. My x1 has started drinking fuel for the past 2-3 fill ups and it feels as if its still got the handbrake on like its holding itself back. There are no codes present.

I've had a look at the live data and the only thing i can find that looks not right is the lambda sensor reading.

From what i know about 02 sensors data that i have seen from other cars in the past the data should look like this from a before cat sensor (B1S1)Image

The sensor on the car is reacting more like this. What i don't understand is if the sensor was reacting slowly wouldn't that set a code or is it just for total failure of the sensor and a lazy sensor would not set a code.
Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (159.29 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (157.73 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (156.88 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (159.74 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (159.21 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (158.27 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (204.68 KiB) Viewed 5862 times

marti

Lambda (02) Sensor

Post by marti » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:48 pm

Is there any soot residue around where the exhaust exits out the back.....not the exhaust but on rear bumper / valance...

VapeLife

Lambda (02) Sensor

Post by VapeLife » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:23 pm

No its clean, ive been having a look around and the X1 seams to use something called a wideband o2/lambda sensor and the data that they send is completely different to a standard sensor.

From what i can fine is that a standard o2 sensor uses 2-3 wires and a wideband normally uses 5-6 and the one on the x1 uses 5 so i am assuming that it is a wideband.

Ive found this quote regarding wideband sensors and it seams to match what i am seeing with the slow curve in the live data. So i can only assume that the data i have is correct and the sensor is operating how it should so i am going to turn my attention to finding something else that doesn't seam quite right.

Dose anyone have any info regarding base values ie airflow sensor readings ect as that would be very helpful. I cant seam to find anything like a Workshop manual ect for the x1 e84 20d.

"Wideband Oxygen sensors (which may also be called Wide Range Air Fuel (WRAF) sensors) and Air/Fuel (A/F) Sensors, are replacing conventional oxygen sensors in many late model vehicles.

A wideband O2 sensor or A/F sensor is essentially a smarter oxygen sensor with some additional internal circuitry that allows it to precisely determine the exact air/fuel ratio of the engine. Like an ordinary oxygen sensor, it reacts to changing oxygen levels in the exhaust. But unlike an ordinary oxygen sensor, the output signal from a wideband O2 sensor or A/F sensor does not change abruptly when the air/fuel mixture goes rich or lean. This makes it better suited to today's low emission engines, and also for tuning performance engines"