Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

De-activation Code to start Engine.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
shy7g

Post by shy7g » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:59 pm

Hi all,
it's that time of year my "old girl" (Betsy my E53 4.6iS), when things like to play up a bit because of not being used that often and everything being cold and slightly damp. My OEM stereo was playing along but would not turn off on the stereo button and so I thought it be a good Idea to take the unit out (whilst the car was still running :headbang: :headbang: ) only to find that the stereo/radio was still playing?? So I did "as you do" decided to turn the vehicle off, and that's where I have now extended the problem in that the car will not start without a "de-activation code" to allow the engine to start :soapbox: . Now I do have within the pouch that come with the car a RADIOPASS BMW professional BM54 card with Typ/Model along with a Serial No., but 4 dashes in the Safety Nr. (- - - - ) ??
Has anyone experienced this issue and advise me what to do?
Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Rich

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:49 pm

Try this…..basically dis the battery then follow the video links below:

https://youtu.be/_YCPPBJ2qrQ

The E53 I had included a function to enter a 4-digit code when the car was switched off and that code needed to be entered again to allow the engine to start. The code was ‘user selected’ each time, not a supplied code.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:14 am

Learn something new every day.

marti

Post by marti » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:32 pm

BMW had this little quirk since around 1994 :)

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:53 pm

X5Sport wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:49 pm Try this…..basically dis the battery then follow the video links below:

https://youtu.be/_YCPPBJ2qrQ

The E53 I had included a function to enter a 4-digit code when the car was switched off and that code needed to be entered again to allow the engine to start. The code was ‘user selected’ each time, not a supplied code.
Cheers all, I hate having to go into the bottom of the boot as I have an LPG tank sitting on top, in the spare wheel well, so it will have to wait for a "dryer" day lol...

Loperamide

Post by Loperamide » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:45 pm

shy7g wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:59 pm Hi all,
it's that time of year my "old girl" (Betsy my E53 4.6iS), when things like to play up a bit because of not being used that often and everything being cold and slightly damp. My OEM stereo was playing along but would not turn off on the stereo button and so I thought it be a good Idea to take the unit out (whilst the car was still running :headbang: :headbang: ) only to find that the stereo/radio was still playing?? So I did "as you do" decided to turn the vehicle off, and that's where I have now extended the problem in that the car will not start without a "de-activation code" to allow the engine to start :soapbox: . Now I do have within the pouch that come with the car a RADIOPASS BMW professional BM54 card with Typ/Model along with a Serial No., but 4 dashes in the Safety Nr. (- - - - ) ??
Has anyone experienced this issue and advise me what to do?
Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Rich

Try 0000