Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 Cranks but just wont start up

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:54 pm

Even him offering a £5,000 scrappage allowance doesn’t help as that will still only buy a car of the same vintage as those to be included in the scope of the ULEZ anyway. So how is that helping those impacted? Used car prices have risen astronomically in the last year or so, and for thousands of Londoners an EV or hybrid will be out of reach price wise. London may have more chargers than anywhere else in the UK, but it’s still woefully short of what’s needed, and they’re getting to cost more per unit than petrol!!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:03 pm

I think the system is determined to get you into an EV one way or another using draconian measures if necessary. I admire how the French get out on the streets if they are not happy like with the retirement age.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:38 pm

henrym3 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:03 pm I think the system is determined to get you into an EV one way or another using draconian measures if necessary. I admire how the French get out on the streets if they are not happy like with the retirement age.
That's only thing about French Folk I admire. Got a problem they'll get off their derriere and make it known. Generally, we're a passive nation, current strikers accepted. Right now there seems to be much to be unhappy about with some justification, I'm sure. :(

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:54 am

I am very surprised a lot of people have not kicked off on this. 2nd car prices are unbelievably high literally across the country. I was hoping to hang on to this car till we start seeing more SUV EV / Plugin hybrids in 3yrs time.

I only cover under 2k miles yearly nowadays so not keen on buying a new car just to have it sitting on the driveway.

I might consider going to Germany/Belgium to get a similar aged 3.0 Petrol in LHD assuming of course that I don’t have to start paying some form of duty now that we are no longer in the EU.

Chances are if Khan succeeds, we will start seeing this getting rolled to big sites across the UK

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:08 am

Why cross the channel for a lhd car? You'd catch import duty for sure, plus other aggravations. There must be a 3.0l petrol UK example worth buying?

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:20 pm

I have a l/h/d e30 m3 you could have for the bargain price of 50k. Although I’d have accept that my son and grandson have said they will disown me if I sell it. :|

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:51 pm

If you are only doing a small milage surely the ulez won't be that big a deal as you are not out every day and only need to pay for a couple of days a week ?
I hope you car can be sorted cheaply enough ,no money to be saved going electric from :now on as road pricing per mile will be round the next corner :headbang:

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:36 pm

That’s another thought, pay for only when i use it. i doubt that they will also put cameras on local roads. Lefts hope i get good news next week

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:55 pm

some update,

I drove the car to an indy nearby on Yesterday. They told me late yesterday that the car started up fine after I left without the aid of easy start.
They said
(1) the starter motor was weak and that I might need a new battery (but not sure about the battery)
(2) the boost hose is broken as well as the temp sensor in it
(3) faulty glowplug and glow plug control unit -- I knew this from the start
I picked the car up this afternoon and it just started fine

could the first two explain my crank no start issue.

just looked at YouTube videos for replacing starter motor and its does look like a hard job.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:19 am

The starter motor isn’t too bad on a RHD car, but still needs significant surgery around the inlet manifold. On LHD cars the work required is far more (and therefore expensive). Some of the bolts are seriously tight and awkward to get to.

A weak starter would just make it slow on cranking. Many BMWs made in 2004/5 suffered starter failure due to a manufacturing issue. It led to well over the 180A ‘normal’ current draw and killed batteries, often after just one start! Mine drew over 900A when it was replaced, the battery was only rated to 830A. The battery needed fully recharging after just one start-up. Replaced under warranty.

I would not have expected much boost until it actually started and the temp sensor at cold would still be cold. But if it was telling the electronics it was hot when it wasn’t, that could I suppose have caused incorrect fuelling.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:36 am

Slow cranking means low fuel rail pressure so much less likely to meet the minimum spec to allow ecu to order injectors to fire.
Stick jump leads to another car and see how it spins up to rule out the battery. :thumbsup:

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:27 pm

I'm almost certain I changed the battery in 2021 so I'll have to find the receipt for that.

I'm thinking maybe I should get the starter motor changed. and hope for the best

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Mon May 01, 2023 6:09 pm

I forgot to give an update on this.

I took in to an independent who replace the starter motor and that seems to have resolved the starting issue.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue May 02, 2023 8:19 am

Glad you got there in the end. :thumbsup: