Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

IPod query

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

IPod query

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:09 pm

I've been using an iPod Classic, 3rd or 4th generation for a long while now. They work well for my needs.

I've recently acquired a 4th generation touch model which it seems the car doesn't recognise! Anyone know why? It's more curiosity tbh than anything else as what I had I'll continue with anyway.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

IPod query

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:13 pm

Have you the CCC iDrive or CIC (10/2010 onwards) with the Lightning connector instead of the wide connector. Are you talking about the Bluetooth connection or the wired option? We’ve got a slightly later version iPod (2012 I think) and that works on both but only because the 10/2010 onwards built X6 cars supported Bluetooth music streaming and no longer needed the ‘Y’ cable that plugged into both ports in the armrest.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

IPod query

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:52 pm

My car has CCC and the Y cable. It's an iPod issue it seems? Older cars like mine prefer the iPod classic so that's what I'll stick to? Can't operate the Touch versions while driving and the iDrive operates the iPod classic perfectly well.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

IPod query

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:26 pm

It should just work which indeed suggests the iPod itself may be the problem. All that I can think of is a bad connector on the base of the iPod?

Does this help: https://youtu.be/SBDNVJD4txI

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

IPod query

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:04 pm

Great link but not my screen variant unfortunately?

I did find lots of internet chatter about incompatibilities with numerous car makers and iPod Touch models. Having raised the question it was curiosity more than anything else. I can live with 'not knowing'.

Maybe I need to watch it right thru. Got guests at the moment.I bailed a bit early tbh. :oops:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

IPod query

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:51 am

Watched the full video now. I think the i-drive in that video must be CIC? It's not the same as my screen display.

The iPod may be faulty but I've given it back to the owner now anyway, I'll stick with what works for me, it makes life simpler 🙂

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

IPod query

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:27 am

As it used the ‘Y’ cable I assumed it was the CCC version (may be a bad assumption though). Mine doesn’t use the cable and I was lead to believe that only happened when the CIC system was introduced, which for the E71 was around October 2010 along with the arrival of the Combox controller replacing the older Bluetooth/phone modules that supported music/video streaming.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

IPod query

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:10 am

Too many possible variants to ponder in fairness, my car has the original or older system. I'd always gone the Bluetooth route up until I bought the Touareg I keep abroad? Very long story with that, but to get viable music other than from the CD stacker, I bought a Yatour digital device that connects to the rear of the VW HU. To maximise this meant buying an iPod which was something of a revelation to me? The digitised output is superb even in a seventeen years old car. It lead me to investigating iPods more fully and now it's my go to source in the X6.
I'd never previously been curious about Apple products but now have an iPod in a dock playing via home hi-fi and iPods in both cars. Suppose I am a convert now with 1006 tracks (and growing), all at my fingertips.
Last edited by sapphireblack on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

IPod query

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:10 pm

I started using Apple devices when I bought a Classic for the E53 in 2007 via the Aux port addin cable. I had a Dension ICE>Link system installed and it was just a nightmare, constantly losing connection and locking up. Dension never got it right and the product vanished soon after. Then USB arrived and it just worked. Bluetooth worked on the E71 up until the iPhone 10 but now neither the phone nor Bluetooth will pair on my iPhone 12. Apple says its BMWs fault (Bluetooth driver in the car out of date) and BMW ‘are not providing further technical support’. In other words, buy a new car! The USB connection is just fine though.

The E46 is the same, no pairing of the phone after the series 10 so her hands free no longer works. We’re not bothered as driving and using the phone, hands-free or otherwise, isn’t sensible so it gets ignored.