Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric BMW issues.

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Electric BMW issues.

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:22 pm

Leslie wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:23 pm Even if there was room in your garage I wouldn't fancy leaving the car charging overnight in there if its attached to the house , as these get older sooner or later a fault will develop and a fire is the likely outcome .
Garage is detached and a garage width away from the house. But not going electric so unimportant anyway?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Electric BMW issues.

Post by Leslie » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:33 pm

Just saying any garage is part of the house but my own garage is tiny I can barely get an original mini in it anyway so not happening here anytime soon either :rofl: next few years will see a big shift to electric and hopefully a price drop too ,nothing really against them bar the cost and it's going to be forced through by Westminster whether we like it or not anyway :D Problems like charging infrastructure will be ironed out when there is a crisis which will probably be Dec 2029 :rofl:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Electric BMW issues.

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:43 pm

At some point, and probably in the not too distant future, hydrogen power is going to enter the mix too. Electric will last a while but hydrogen power will come. Again, it will be the infrastructure that will cause the biggest challenges whilst governments and industry wait for each other to make the first move.

BMW already have a V8 that runs on petrol and hydrogen. New versions are being developed now and will be usable. For the vehicles the challenge is keeping cryogenic liquids in the tanks. Boil off is currently a problem and drains tanks in 9-10 days leaving enough to get owners about 20km. Not much use if you’re in remote areas unless petrol can be used.

Oh, and parking hydrogen vehicles in garages is (for now at least) banned! Not so much smoke and flames as BOOM! no building… :fuelfire:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Electric BMW issues.

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:22 pm

Why is it I grin like a schoolboy whenever I see 'V8'? Love them :thumbsup: :driving:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Electric BMW issues.

Post by Leslie » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:19 pm

Can't beat a v8 burble :driving:

A brief look on Google and it seems hydrogen will have a place for buses, hgv and rail but says the chances of widespread cars usage in even the medium future is unlikely at best.
£12 for 60 miles was quoted but obviously the government would tax the hell out of that :rofl:

StuBeeDoo

Electric BMW issues.

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:36 pm

£12 for 60 miles?!!?!?! :o Bloody 'ell!

My F25 has consumed diesel at the rate of 18.5p/mile over the last 3 years/29.5k miles.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Electric BMW issues.

Post by Leslie » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:50 am

I see wrightbus here in Northern Ireland ia bus builder s making a plant for green hydrogen announced today enough to supply 300 buses :driving:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Electric BMW issues.

Post by X5Sport » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:12 pm

I see that the gas mains are about to start having hydrogen mixed in imminently. Maybe there will be a change to H2 power sooner. I know boilers are already being type approved for either or a mix.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Electric BMW issues.

Post by Leslie » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:46 pm

Maybe it's due to the shortage and high cost of gas or to reduce reliance on gas in the future sounds a sensible move in theory anyway :thumbsup: