Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Waxoyl??

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Waxoyl??

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:57 am

While I had my head in the rear arches on my F25 the other day, replacing the brake pads, I noticed it's starting to get a bit crusty under there. :(
This started me wondering what it's like where the undertrays are hiding the structure.

Yesterday, I had a thought.......... What about having it professionally Waxoyl coated? Well, they do it to Land Rover products.........

There is a company called Nene Overland, near Peterborough, who offer a clean-up and protect service. It's not cheap at getting-on for £1k, but I'm happy with the car and have no intention of replacing it - certainly not with anything newer than a late model F25, which would likely not be much better in this respect. Ideally, I'd like this one to last me the rest of my driving days, which is probably another 15 years, tops.

As you've probably noticed from some of my past posts, I'm not averse to spending money if it's likely to save me in the long run.

Thoughts, please, gentlemen?..........
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Waxoyl??

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:42 am

I’ve used Waxoyl before on my first cars in the 1980’s before the days of eCoat body treatment and when Metal Moth was rampant. I painted the main areas underneath with the black version and used a sprayer to do under the wheel arches, behind the fuel tank and areas I couldn’t get to with a brush such as inside the sills. Definitely worth doing if you’re keeping the car :thumbsup:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Waxoyl??

Post by Leslie » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:58 am

I have looked at my x5 and under the plastic covers is totally as new but check the rear sunbframe it is much more exposed and mine was heavily corroded a lot more than surface rust so I coated it in waxoyl but I think it will need doing again soon. Waxoyl in the box sections would be a good idea as in the end they will corrode from the inside out.
Rust is still a thing even in 2023.

StuBeeDoo

Waxoyl??

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:54 am

I have been looking on Autotrader, on and off, for the last 4 months. Not that I'm actively seeking a change, although I could be tempted by the right car if it has low miles.........
Currently, F25s of similar spec. to mine are thin on the ground - even ones of similar age. Bearing in mind that the very "newest" ones are on 67-plate, they're already older than mine was when I bought it and most have annually higher mileage than mine. And, as Leslie alluded to, they are all going to have rust developing by now.

I know that even a low-miler could have as yet undeveloped mechanical issues, and as mine is still up-together for a 10-year-old keeping it seems to be the sensible option. I just want to hold-back the natural aging process for as long as possible.

Time to stop looking at Autotrader and do something positive with what I already have, methinks. :)
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Waxoyl??

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:07 am

Whether it makes any difference or not I can’t tell, but I have a Karcher underbody cleaner that I use once salt-season is over. It won’t get deep behind the acres of underbody shields but at least it washes a lot off. It probably has enough force to at least get some of the rubbish off elsewhere, and leaves a lot on the drive after use!
EDA1359D-EBCF-42A2-B617-013BA0B493D9.jpeg
EDA1359D-EBCF-42A2-B617-013BA0B493D9.jpeg (53.43 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
The smaller thing is what you add a preservative into and then spray under the car. You’d need a lot of white spirit to thin the Waxoyl though… :P

I’m not sure I’ll try it with our i4 though. 470V may cause a slight tingling sensation…. :cry: :rofl:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Waxoyl??

Post by Leslie » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:36 pm

X5Sport don't worry the i4 will likely be obsolete and recycled long before rust gets a chance with the ever diminishing lifespan of each newer model :rofl: :driving:

Probably more truth to that than you know… :tumbleweed:

StuBeeDoo

Waxoyl??

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:03 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:57 amThere is a company called Nene Overland, near Peterborough, who offer a clean-up and protect service.
Two e-mails and a 'phone call later, and it's booked-in for May 30th. :) They said they need it for a week, but the chances are I won't be able to travel to collect it until the Friday of the following week. They could have done it as early as the last week of April, but the end of May is the earliest I can spare the car for any length of time.

I'm going to order a full set of new undertray fixings, because I remember the last time I had a transmission service they mentioned the poor condition of some of the fixings.

I have already booked the train ticket for the journey home.

StuBeeDoo

Waxoyl??

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:29 pm

Well, I collected the car yesterday. It didn't quite go to plan, however, and long story short they ended-up only doing the exposed areas - but I guess that's the most important thing. To be fair I was expecting a bill of around £1k, and got one for £360.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Waxoyl??

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:15 am

Forgive my ignorance but isn't the whole point of waxoil to get into the more difficult, inaccessible places ? Just treating the exposed area for £360 seems a questionable service to me?

StuBeeDoo

Waxoyl??

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:36 am

Sapphireblack, you are right. But several people, including Leslie in post 3 ^^^, have said that the undertrays do a good job. Yes, the rust in the exposed areas will creep but hopefully the Waxoyl will slow that process. I'm not making excuses here for the reduced service, I am slightly disappointed, but I'm looking on it as "owt's better than nowt".

As Leslie also mentioned, the rear subframe is a known rust victim - and that has been done.